Opinions on wheel and tire setup

SnakeCharmed

Established Member
I am considering purchasing SSR GT3 with 265/35/18 Fr and 295/35/18 rear g-force TA KD's. Other brand tires are cheaper, any opinions or suggestions appreciated

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
You are asking for cheaper tires? Dude, if you got the coin to buy the SSR's, then just stick with a good tire like you picked out..lol

SnakeCharmed

Established Member
Sambandit, Thanks for the reply. Don't know that it is a better tire than others. TireRack is non committal. Understandable since they sell many brands. I have paid for more expensive tires before and they were crap. That is why I am asking for expert opinion here

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
The reviews on Tire rack for the KD's are pretty strong, and I know a guy who runs those and is happy with them. Wish I had the dough for that setup!

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
I have KDWs on my front rims (275/40). They handle well. Not sure how they'd do with traction on the rear though.

I have run (on the rear):
- Stock F1 GS 275/40 (NO traction, even when stock)
- Nitto 555R 275/40 (definitely needed a wider tire)
- Eagle F1 GS-D3 285/40 (good traction for a street tire, but i needed more)
- Nitto 555R 315/35 @ 26psi (the magic ticket! still spins/hops a bit in 1st, but nowhere near as bad as the others)

keep in mind i'm around 460rwhp. also, contrary to what everyone else proclaims, i think nitto DRs are decent in the rain. but obviously you won't want to dump the clutch and go WOT.

what size GT3s are you getting? i was thinking about getting 18x9 front and 18x10.5 rear a few months ago, had an AWESOME deal, but it fell through.

Last edited:

venomous99

Established Member
too bad the SSR GT3 are on a nation wide back order for the satin finished wheels. personally with that much wheel i would get 315s but then again at that size you do not have much of a selection in tires. i was eyeing the michelin pilots...they're darn expensive

SnakeCharmed

Established Member
Thanks for the input, Tirerack recommended the 265/35 and 295/35 KD's, that is as wide as they would go. The wheels are 18x9 and 18x10.5. I would consider the Nitto's since the car never sees rain. Tirerack has me freaked about the size though. They say they have many customers that have had problems with any wider tire than 295.

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeCharmed
Thanks for the input, Tirerack recommended the 265/35 and 295/35 KD's, that is as wide as they would go. The wheels are 18x9 and 18x10.5. I would consider the Nitto's since the car never sees rain. Tirerack has me freaked about the size though. They say they have many customers that have had problems with any wider tire than 295.

you have to take what they "recommend" with a grain of salt. they just don't want to be held liable for any fitment issue, etc. i'm running a 315/35 nitto DR on my stock 17x9 rims.

the only issues i could see are:
1) hitting the IRS bolt
2) needing wheel spacers (sort of ties in with the above)
3) the fact that nitto tire sizes are smaller than most other brands tire sizes.

good luck!

Last edited:

Todd03Blown

Established Member
The KD's are great tires however I am partial to the Kumho MX's. I have them on my 01 cobra vert and loved them so I just put a new set on my 03 10th. I just added 18" Saleen wheels (wheel replicas) with 245/40/18 up front and 295/35/18 out back. I love these tires are about 95% of the KD's in the dry but out handle them in the wet based on Tire racks test comparison. I highly recommend these tires.

jguerrero

Established Member
I agree the toyos t1s are great tires. I was critical at first, but I am loving them now.

Users who are viewing this thread