Opinions on turbo vs roots blower vs procharger on 07 GT

88silvergt

Old School
Established Member
I'm getting the bug for more power out of my 07 GT. Currently has a Airaid cold air and Corsa axleback exhaust. Did some looking around today at different options and so far it looks like a Kenny bell or Saleen s/c are good for roots style, Pro-Charger for centrifugul style, and maybe hellion or something else for a turbo kit. Car is an auto. I'm wandering what your opinions are on the different types of forced induction and any issues with any of them. Regardless of which way I go, I want it tuned on the conservative side as its my DD and want it to last and still get decent mileage when not in the throttle. I was guessing a turbo would be best in that respect but curious what the results have been for others. And how much power can the stock auto trans hold up to? Thanks, T.

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
First off kenne bell and saleen are both twin screw not roots. Roots types are roush and magnuson iirc. If you want to know more about twin screws go to kennebell.net and read. Also if you havent already I would go to a actual s197 forum like s197forum.com and read up. You will get better help there then you will here. Also allfordmustangs.com has a good comparison of boost and hp numbers for most of the big brands like kenne bell, whipple, hellion, exile, saleen etc. fell free to send me a PM if you need anything else.

VRM III

Established Member
You can take this for what it is worth, and I know I will probably have people who disagree with me but if your limited on funds, you might look at going with the Roush M90 Supercharger (roots type) They can be found for $3800 for the whole kit and offer 435 HP @ about 4 or 5 psi. Order a CAI, 2.57 pulley and a tune and you can be at 505 HP @ about 7 or 8 psi. Total upgrade kits for this usually run around $900.

I know this is not the most powerful supercharger kit out there, but I did not want to spend over 7 grand on a whipple or KB. For me my GT is also my DD and I don't want to have something to over the top, plus who knows how much longer I will have the car. I have researched quite a bit and found that the Roush M90 offers great driveability and still good power gains while being completely safe for the stock engine and comes with everything you need for it down to the bolts. If you don't have any way to dyno tune the car you also have the option to overnight your PCM (prepaid box included) to Roush and have them calibrate it so you are 100% ready to go. Not to mention Roush Warrantees the Supercharger for a year.

I decided to go this route and just ordered my M90 on Friday and paid $3800 shipped. For me this was the most logical option. I don't have much free cash on hand and I don't really want to dump so much into the car. When you compare the M90 to any Twin Screw, Centri, or Turbo your power gains will be much more with any of the latter options, however the M90 offers great power, great driveability, at a great price.

Just my .02 :beer:

Last edited:

almach

Established Member
You can get plenty of input Welcome to S197 Forums. The only forum on the internet dedicated solely to the S197 Mustang! I have 08 GT/CS Vert DD Brenspeed Stage 2 Saleen, 426/430 @ 5500 Redline 6600 (was checking AF), I have 4:10's DD, 65 miles a day, if I run 55 I get >25 MPG at 75 to 80 about 20.5 per tank. It's a 5 speed. I have put over 40K miles on it since the blower install, no issues and it's a blast to drive! Check the site and get all the info you can get. Good Luck

88silvergt

Old School
Established Member
I'm actually a member on that site too and have been researching alot. Found a shop willing to sell a complete Vortech kit with a air to air fmic for $4850. Seems like a fair deal. Just tough to spend that much....

almach

Established Member
Mustang forums is also another good site. I understand about the money, I wanted a twin screw and something reliable,, that's why I drove to brenspeed and had them do the install, it was worth the money and still cheaper than KB. Good luck and what ever you chose, you will enjoy the power!

almach

Established Member
It was right at 6K but I could have went a little less HP, brenspeed has all the prices on the site but as you know there are other sites. I had an X3 already so we negotiated and I got the kit cheaper. No regrets! Warning, power is addictive, there is more power available on my setup, I wanted to make sure that if I wanted to go over 500 at the wheels, I wouldn't be limited by my supercharger.

Last edited:

96supersnake

Established Member
I'm actually a member on that site too and have been researching alot. Found a shop willing to sell a complete Vortech kit with a air to air fmic for $4850. Seems like a fair deal. Just tough to spend that much....

That seems like a pretty good deal...You get anything yet? Centris, will probably be the easiest on your wallet..

ncpower08

Established Member
I have a P1 procharger with an intercoller. I have a .030 bore an egal stroker kit0 ect.....
The only thing i would have done different is go with the F1A. If you want power then that is what you need man. When i get the money that is what my next upgrade is going to be if my trans holds together through the next season. Any one you ask about this is going to tell you to get a Kenny Bell. Which is a good choice but to have something unique go with the procharger F1A. Do as much homework as possabl on all of them first. Good luck man any one you pick you are going to have a blast with. The only problem you are going to have is finding the money to bye tires after doing burn outs the frist day.

96supersnake

Established Member
^^The f1, is sweet, the Novi 2200, is an awesome peice as well..The tvs 2300 blowers are pretty awesome,and they are a little cheaper than a twin screw, they are as good too up to 20psi, and then they just become heaters..I am in the same boat , I want a blower so bad , but cash is tight right now, I like the Roush 2300 tvs, novi2200, or the d1 or f1 prochargers...

Last edited:

cconner

Word of Wisdom
Established Member
Turbo>Supercharger

Google STS Turbo. Youtube STS turbo mustang GT. Listen to the STS turbo. Then see how you feel. If your like me... It's hard to make Mustang owners understand that Superchargers aren't the best.

Longevity will be inevitably be destroyed with ANY supercharger/turbo.. However, a system that is more efficient will last considerably longer than the other. Superchargers compared to turbo's are inefficient.

Another thing. Do not listen to anyone who talks about turbo lag on a v8. Lag will be no factor, when you can produce over 300 ft lbs of torque naturally.

BruceH

Established Member
Turbo>Supercharger

Google STS Turbo. Youtube STS turbo mustang GT. Listen to the STS turbo. Then see how you feel. If your like me... It's hard to make Mustang owners understand that Superchargers aren't the best.

Longevity will be inevitably be destroyed with ANY supercharger/turbo.. However, a system that is more efficient will last considerably longer than the other. Superchargers compared to turbo's are inefficient.

Another thing. Do not listen to anyone who talks about turbo lag on a v8. Lag will be no factor, when you can produce over 300 ft lbs of torque naturally.

Do you have an sts turbo system on your Mustang?

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
I have the Hellion Single Turbo Setup on my 06 GT and its def. different than any supercharged car i have had (two 03 Cobras, 03 Saleen Supercharged s-281, and a 03 Kenne Bell 1.7 Liter GT). I have found out that I still like superchargers. Being I drive my car everyday I have to get under the car (mostly just cause I am picky) and tighten up exhaust pipes and check everything out. It is a pain in the butt to work on and I have worked on many mustangs. Piping is tucked in nicely and fits great but its just in the way and hard to get to the oil filter and exc. just my thoughts stick with blower for daily driver. I would love to swap someone for a blower!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread