Opinions on Turbo Vs. Procharger

MC.Mafia904

Established Member
Hey Guy I'm Starting My Homework On My Major Power Adder, but I've Been Getting Mix Reviews. I Would Like Some Advice and Opinions. Turbo Vs.Procharger.

Mattstang04

Established Member
Well now we're talking. Looking to put a hurt on the new model year muscle cars? I get it. They got turbo 4 cylinders from the factory with warranties that got more power than our aging ponies...and they're putting them in hatchbacks. Sounds like your ready to get hardcore.

I Procharged my 04 GT. Before it started having complications, I was putting 400 to the wheel. Let start by saying I like Prochargers, so I may be a little biased. They are obnoxiously loud and the power output is just phenomenal. Centrifugal superchargers are a lot like turbos but without the lag. The downside of the Procharger as compared to turbos is the parasitic loss by being driven by the crank. That's the downside of any supercharger.

Turbos are pretty cool. They make great power and torque. I have heard there are some kits out there that are cheap and require a lot of fixing to keep them running. Heard Hellion has got some good stuff. I think turbos are overall more complicated to install. They will fill up your engine bay and require some really extensive exhaust routing.

Prochargers bolt on, swap your fuel parts and MAF, tune and done. You can intercool either of them.

I think turbos are cool. Perhaps a little less reliable or finicky (that is just my opinion from the people I have see on the forums and talked to on the street). Your 4.10s will be agreeable to centrifugal or turbo. My vote goes to Procharger. Just easier to deal with in my opinion.

Serge

Established Member
turbo are cool but for the price of the kit for the mach 1 is insane. just do mild cams and a supercharger.
what ever you do dont go over 500hp or the bottom end will go on you.

MC.Mafia904

Established Member
Hey MATTSTANG & SERGE
thanks Guy For your Help.

I Have Been Researching the Kits... The Turbo Is Expensive. And A Lot of Work.
Yeah I'm Leaning more Towards the Procharger.... Once Again Bro Thanks For Being kind And Always A Big Help.
You Get Lots of credits for many of My Mod.Decision' ✌ Mattstang04

Mattstang04

Established Member
Glad to lend my opinion. There aren't too many folks on this forum anymore so I'm glad to help keep it alive. I think machs are the coolest. Be careful not to go overboard with boost unless you're putting in good rods and pistons. A good dyno tune is a must too.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
If you decide to build a bottom end put some decent compression to it, I'd say 10:1. Still working with my buddies Mach we did a D1 blower 9:1 comp which is our downfall. Made 460's for horsepower with very low timing due to belt slip and trouble tuning. If you plan on spinning a blower hard just go straight to 8 rib and save the headache. I'd recommend the procharger over a turbo setup just for ease of install and use.

Mach828

Established Member
Another vote for a centri. If you looking to keep it under 700, I'd go with a blower. You can piece a used blower kit together for $3k (eaton or centri).

The Vortech kit doesn't seem to have the belt slip issues that the Procharger does. Get nonslip idlers, I think they are the reason my car has no issues on the stock 6 rib setup with a stock tensioner.

Users who are viewing this thread