Opinions On This Performance Package

TXVike

I recently purchased a 2011 GT500 with 170 miles, yes 170. I want to wake it up some with a budget of around $2500. Here is what one of the vendors on this forum recommended: Custom tune with SCT X4 tuner, 2.6" pulley, Steeda idler, Steeda heat exchanger, cold air intake, Borla axle back, iridium spark plugs. This brings me over my budget by $300. Also considered porting the stock supercharger but was told it was a waste of money Thoughts?

Mainn

Established Member
Only 170 miles on a 4 year old car - that's pretty impressive! Welcome to the forums, and the hobby which is modifying these cars. ;-)

Tried to send you a PM but unfortunately, I don't think you have access yet due to your low post count.

Thoughts from another vendor.

If you want to wake your car up - have a browse on our site, and check out our tune, JLT 123mm and 2.5" pulley package. http://vmptuning.com/07-12gt500/gt500jlt123pak/
The smaller pulley will give you a touch more boost and power than a 2.6" will, and the JLT 123mm can work with the majority of combinations used with the stock bottom end on these cars.

Our heat exchanger does the job quite well to keep the temps down, too. I'm sure others on here can attest to that.

Lastly, SVTP forum members can get 5% off as a way of saying thanks from us. Code inside: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rchargers-SVTP-Forum-Appreciation-Code-Inside!

This should wake your car up dramatically as you wish, whilst keeping you under budget. Email address is in my signature below if you have any questions, and BJ and I are around on the forums all the time. :) Good luck.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
As a resident VMP parts whore (in a good way), I can attest that Mainn is on the money about VMP quality. No, Im not paid by them (unless of course they WANT to haha). I just know first hand they got their business down solid.

I initially ran their 2.5" pulley, 90mm idler and installer set, high flow elbow, home port matched the stock blower (ugly but works), VMP Triple pass dual fan heat exchanger, NGK TR7ix plugs, Lethal O/R H pipe and tune.

Absolutely woke the car up. Also, JLT is the shiznit for intakes (personal opinion). you'll also be at your budget.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The CAI on the '10 ups are pretty good and all you need is a resonator delete to improve the look. Going to a largeer CAI isn't needed until you go with a larger supercharger. Now you're back under budget. The Borla's are more about sound, it won't do anything for performance. You may end up regretting them if you ever get an off-road mid-pipe.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
other than the great suggestions above, I would suggest the BMR anti-hop kit and new rear tires to be able to use the new found power...

Excellent point here. Hell those tires may be flat spotted after sitting all that time. And frankly, I cant get them off my car fast enough. the Goodyear G2 is a garbage tire on the street and can not hold the power once you start modding.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
- tune
- Killer Chiller (same cost as others' heat exchangers w/ fans but works WAY better)
- install some firm rear suspension links
- lightweight wheels

RBB

Established Member
- Pulley/intake/tune combo
- VMP heat exchanger
- BMR adj panhard/lca/uca

That'll be right around your budget and gives you a great base for future mods. You'll need the suspension mods to help put the power down. They make a big difference and you'll be all set up to go with a TVS in the future.

Also, let me just say I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but one of my favorite mods for this car is the MGW Gen2 shifter. The stock shifter just flat out sucks, and you'll be amazed at how much the MGW improves the driving experience of this car. If you've got an extra $400 to spend after your first initial round of mods go and get it.

rfugio68

Established Member
Tvs, 56lb injectors, tune. You'll be at your budget, then after that get the heat exchanger, intake, tb, and pulley. You'll end up going with a tvs in the future anyways, might as well make it the first mod.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Tvs, 56lb injectors, tune. You'll be at your budget, then after that get the heat exchanger, intake, tb, and pulley. You'll end up going with a tvs in the future anyways, might as well make it the first mod.

He really needs cooling before more power. Your car is probably a 1 hit chump with all those mods and no cooling.

2.6 upper, 170* T-stat, VMP or C&R/Shelby/Revan Heat Exchanger, VMP 67 TB, leave the factory intake as it's pretty good, and finish it off with a custom tune from Lund or VMP. Also start thinking about rear tires. You can save yourself some cash and buy a few of those things used as we have an excellent Market Section on this forum. All that is definitely under $2500. Then you can add some BMR control arms and relocation brackets and really have some fun.

rfugio68

Established Member
He really needs cooling before more power. Your car is probably a 1 hit chump with all those mods and no cooling.

2.6 upper, 170* T-stat, VMP or C&R/Shelby/Revan Heat Exchanger, VMP 67 TB, leave the factory intake as it's pretty good, and finish it off with a custom tune from Lund or VMP. Also start thinking about rear tires. You can save yourself some cash and buy a few of those things used as we have an excellent Market Section on this forum. All that is definitely under $2500. Then you can add some BMR control arms and relocation brackets and really have some fun.
I have a c&r heat exchanger and a t stat. Just don't put them on my sig. Car still feels slow to be honest, I just can't do much else on 91oct.

Black Sex

Established Member
When I bought my 2011, I bought a used TVS (with 2.6 pulley) with T.b., tune and resonator delete. The following year I bought a heat exchanger and a few suspension goodies.
Last year I bought headers and injectors.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I am building ground up, and the blower upgrade will be my final upgrade

That is a great way to look at it. If I were to do everything all over again, suspension and dr's or some other sticky tire would go on at the same time with a pulley/tune. Then cooling, then more suspension, and then power.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
This and it's a complete waste of money to do a bigger intake on a stock blower car, practically zero power increase. Only thing I would do exhaust wise is an o/r midpipe. An mgw would be a good choice to start as well.

Users who are viewing this thread