Opinions on painted interior pieces

520Terminator

Wait.....What?
Established Member
Whats your guy's opinion? Hideous? Ricey? love it, hate it, let me hear your opinion. Been debating doing some of mine in gloss black/clear coat to match the exterior. The interior is just too monotone for my taste and I can't figure out what to change up.

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
I agree about the interior being really monotone. I think its ok to paint some of the interior pieces as long as you dont over do it. I've seen other cars with the radio/shifter bezel, and door cups done, it can look really good. I think a gloss black would look nice. I have a Mach 1 radio/shifter bezel in mine, but it doesnt really pop like it did in my 97 that had true black interior. Do you have any ideas on what paint to use?

Kiohtee

Established Member
My uh, whatever you call these, were painted gloss black by the PO. It was real nice looking IMO, but showed finger prints if your passengers weren't careful lol.

WP_000120.jpg

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I agree about the interior being really monotone. I think its ok to paint some of the interior pieces as long as you dont over do it. I've seen other cars with the radio/shifter bezel, and door cups done, it can look really good. I think a gloss black would look nice. I have a Mach 1 radio/shifter bezel in mine, but it doesnt really pop like it did in my 97 that had true black interior. Do you have any ideas on what paint to use?

This. I bought Mach1 center pieces also. The radio bezel was a bit faded, so I carried a piece into Lowe's and found a plastic compatable pewter that was very close in color. Then, I masked up the shifter bezel, and resprayed both pieces. I also painted my door cups to match. Very subtle, very nice touch to an otherwise plain interior.

A smooth, glossy finish will show finger smudge marks and are a pain in the ass to keep clean. I recommend a satin or other low-gloss finish.

Last edited:

520Terminator

Wait.....What?
Established Member
I'm planning on getting the TMI Dark Charcoal/Dark Charcoal interior set, so it will be SUPER monotone after that. I was thinking the radio/shifter bezel, the cluster bezel, and the door pulls. Nothing else. I would probably just use a high quality automotive paint in a basecoat/clearcoat. It works well on urethane bumpers, and stands up to the elements, so I figure it should be fine on the interior pieces. The door pulls might get a bit of wear but nothing I couldn't have touched up/repainted.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'd just watch how much you do, because too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Kiohtee

Established Member
This I know, and it's killing me trying to decide what to do, and what to leave alone

Door pulls and radio/shifter bezel. Those will break up the interior just enough to look good. The door pulls handle the left and right side while the radio and shifter bezel handle the middle.

Definitely a no to gloss black door pulls and a IUP Mach 1 radio/shifter bezel. Also a no to the gloss black cluster.

Just my opinion remember. :)

520Terminator

Wait.....What?
Established Member
Door pulls and radio/shifter bezel. Those will break up the interior just enough to look good. The door pulls handle the left and right side while the radio and shifter bezel handle the middle.

Definitely a no to gloss black door pulls and a IUP Mach 1 radio/shifter bezel. Also a no to the gloss black cluster.

Just my opinion remember. :)

I was thinking the same thing on the cluster, because there would be nothing on the other side to balance it out.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
This I know, and it's killing me trying to decide what to do, and what to leave alone

Speedometer Bezel = Too Much

Ask me how I know.

Stick with the center bezels and door cups to start out with. You will find that will be nice and not ricey.

Skylar

Established Member
I think interior pieces painted bright colors looks really tacky. My Mach 1 came with some billet pieces on the interior that makes the interior look better without going over the top.

GodStang

Established Member
I agree you dont get out of hand can look great but have seen many that people have gotten out of hand with and looks horrible. Also depends on what the color you choose is.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Grab a spare set from a junkyard or someone parting out one on craigslist. $20-30 should get you all the pieces you wanna paint, then have at it.

Alot of cars now come with glossy black interior fixings. Do a nice smooth paint layer followed by layering clear and wetsanding/buffing and itll look OEM.

My94GT

Established Member
the only thing i would paint is a roll cage. other then that i think the trim pieces look tacky painted.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
98% of times its done it looks super tacky. Kinda like an owner trying too hard to make up for something.

Very rarely, when done just right it looks good. Perform at your own risk.

Here is an example of how people make it look cheap and tacky,

When done right, it can really look nice.. Here's mine..

cockpit.jpg

backseat.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread