Opinions on HP numbers from Tune and Mods.

Mohican

Established Member
Gentlemen: I am looking for opinions and advice. I'll list the mods I have on my 2014 Gt 500 (Grabber Blue with Matt Black) and the numbers. I am curious if my tuner could have done a better job and maybe I should get one from John Lund or Justin @ VMP.

1 7/8" ARH long tube Headers
Off Road X pipe
Dougs headers Exhaust cut outs (insanely loud when open)
Borla S exhaust no cats
Steeda Cold air intake (130mm)
Twin 65 mm throttle body
Supercharger pulley 2.4" (Metco)
Steeda Tensioner
170 degree thermostat

Had it custom tuned on a dyno ( heard that's the way to go) on 94 octane up here in Canada, will be getting torco accelerator booster to make it up to 97 octane. So its tuned on a mustang dyno for 94 Octane with those bolt ons. The numbers 676 RWP and 712 Torque. Done in Edmonton Alberta Canada. Do those numbers seem low to anyone or am I just fine?

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Mustang Dyno is going to read lower numbers but it's all meaningless if we don't know what your base (stock) hp number was.

ThomasL

Established Member
Mustang Dyno is going to read lower numbers but it's all meaningless if we don't know what your base (stock) hp number was.

Exactly. Your before and after dynos tell the story. If you gained 100+ HP from a base dyno, then that should be about right. Hell, even more than that. But if you ended up with like 70 HP gain with those mods, something aint right. Think I gained 99HP with TB, Intake, Pulley, and tune by Justin @ VMP.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A baseline dyno would have been nice, but your #'s on a Mustang dyno don't seem that low.
Do you have any pics of the " Dougs headers Exhaust cut outs (insanely loud when open) " install ?

grobertx

Established Member
Well we are almost identical MINUS the CJTB and I had 671 on 93oct with a VMP tune. I've since added the CJTB and switched to Lund tune. I'm hoping that put me 690-700 but I'm not too worried about checking it now. My baseline was 591... My point is your results are not unheard of.

I know they did not change my sparkplugs. Also my JLT is the 123mm. I'm beginning to wonder if an even bigger CAI and hotter plugs might make a relatively inexpensive, quick WHP gain to push me over 700...Thoughts??:??:

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
Well we are almost identical MINUS the CJTB and I had 671 on 93oct with a VMP tune. I've since added the CJTB and switched to Lund tune. I'm hoping that put me 690-700 but I'm not too worried about checking it now. My baseline was 591... My point is your results are not unheard of.

I know they did not change my sparkplugs. Also my JLT is the 123mm. I'm beginning to wonder if an even bigger CAI and hotter plugs might make a relatively inexpensive, quick WHP gain to push me over 700...Thoughts??:??:

* colder plugs... not hotter

paluka21

Established Member
That would be over 700rwhp on a DynoJet. I think your numbers are fine. Dyno numbers are just that, dyno numbers, they don't mean everything. And others are right, you need base information to compare before/after if you're worried about strictly the numbers. But as far a dyno's go, I actually *prefer* load based dyno's as opposed to inertia only.
If you want to see more appealing numbers, find a shop with a DynoJet, and then you'll feel better.

Last edited:

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
That would be over 700rwhp on a DynoJet. I think your numbers are fine. Dyno numbers are just that, dyno numbers, they don't mean everything. And others are right, you need base information to compare before/after if you're worried about strictly the numbers. But as far a dyno's go, I actually *prefer* load based dyno's as opposed to inertia only.
If you want to see more appealing numbers, find a shop with a DynoJet, and then you'll feel better.

Spot on my friend!

OP, numbers look fine. Take it to the track and have some fun!

Users who are viewing this thread