Opinions on Half-Shaft

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
So I have an 01 cobra and recently rebuilt the IRS and then it sat because the brakes acted up so I rebuilt them and drove it for a little bit and everything was fine.

Recently took a right turn at 20ish mph and turned quickly into it and the left rear made a noise. Similar noise that it made before I rebuilt the IRS which I believe was the stock half shaft. When I rebuilt it I put new 03-04 halfshafts in it.

After I took the turn I tried to but couldn’t recreate the noise so I went home and looked up under it and a brake hose rubbed against the outer boot eventually making a hole causing grease to sling out.

I took the halfshaft out and took the boot off and it was still full of grease and felt fine but of course that’s not under any load or anything.

Do y’all think I’ll be fine to just order a boot from FTBR and I’m good to go? The noise is the concerning part.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
As long as there isn't a lot of play or any clicking noises I'd get a new boot and re-install it. Maybe with some extra grease just in case.

Are you sure the noise isn't coming from the diff?

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
As long as there isn't a lot of play or any clicking noises I'd get a new boot and re-install it. Maybe with some extra grease just in case.

Are you sure the noise isn't coming from the diff?

It was loud and clear from the left rear of the car. The diff did get fully rebuilt too, bearings, seals, clutches, gears. Although it has more backlash than I’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread