Opinions on Googe Chromebooks

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Looking for something portable that will be limited to word processing, creating power points and spreadsheets, and internet browsing. How is Chrome OS? Does it work offline or is the Chromebook nothing more than a brick without wifi?

(I did a search and found a thread on the topic from May 2014. I figured I'd ask again since 3.5 years is decades in tech.)

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Google makes an awesome Chromebook, but isn't worth the 1k+ price tag.

Chrome os is ok. It can be a bit weird because it has both Android apps and chrome os apps for the same app.

Blown 89

Established Member
At the high end your better off getting a surface, at the low end there are a lot of cheap laptops and atom based hybrids. I don't see any reason for a Chromebook.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Any recommendations for an ultra slim with that runs Windows 10? I was looking at the Surface Laptop but was hoping to avoid spending $1k on something that I’m only using in a limited capacity.

bglf83

Established Member
I picked up a Samsung Chromebook Pro for my son. I expect it to do the things you listed. Will not know for a little while though.

It was $424 from Newegg with their promo.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
I picked up a Samsung Chromebook Pro for my son. I expect it to do the things you listed. Will not know for a little while though.

It was $424 from Newegg with their promo.

I got the Chromebook Plus for the same reason your son and OP would use it for. I'm still trying to get used to it, since everything is saved on Google Drive. I believe with the pro, you can use Window apps, which is a major advantage. https://www.androidcentral.com/crossover-chrome-os-lets-you-run-windows-apps-chromebooks

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I just picked up an Acer Chromebook for the wife with mouse. For $199 from Costco. She just wants something decently quick to shop online and surf the web. We will see how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bglf83

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread