Opinions on getting an offroad H

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
I have about $200 max to spend on an upcoming mod before heading back to school. I've limited it down to either uprgrading from the Triax to the MGW or getting an off road H. My current power mods are JLT RAI and weld in flows. I think the O/R H would really wake the car. I know you can get the eliminators to get rid of the check engine light, but I would need to pass the visual inspection at the emmisions facility. I've seen people pass with an O/R H in Illinois, but it still seems risky, any opinions on this?

Also what brand do you suggest for the O/R H? I want something that will bolt up very easily in my driveway to save on the cost. Is this a pretty decent power mod? Also does it get so loud where daily driving is very annoying? I do a lot of highway driving so this is pretty important.

If anyone can suggest anything else under 200 bucks I can get too that'd be helpfull, but I think the O/R H is the way to go. Oh and no gears, because I'm not installing them, and that would take it well outta my price range now.

Paul

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Are u only looking for an H-pipe, or is an X-pipe also an option? You can get a BBK h-pipe for really cheap used.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
URDONE said:
Are u only looking for an H-pipe, or is an X-pipe also an option? You can get a BBK h-pipe for really cheap used.

I prefer the throatier sound of the H-pipe so yeah I'm just looking for an H-pipe.

Paul

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
I have a BBK O/R H-pipe and Flowmaster mufflers, and it sounds good. I get people almost every time i go out telling me how mean it sounds. I had a older lady looked to be in her late 50's early 60's tell me how she loved the sound of my Cobra, now that one shocked me!

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Lightning LA said:
I have a BBK O/R H-pipe and Flowmaster mufflers, and it sounds good. I get people almost every time i go out telling me how mean it sounds. I had a older lady looked to be in her late 50's early 60's tell me how she loved the sound of my Cobra, now that one shocked me!

How bad is the drone on the highway? I have flows so I'd have the same setup as you. I drive almost 50 highway miles a day in the summer so it can't be so loud that I can't listen to music.

Did you pick up any "seat of the pants" feeling with the O/R H?

Paul

ZimStang

Established Member
The drone on the highway isnt bad at all given you keep the RPMs above 2k-2200. Thats the range that your mufflers drone at. If youre doing 75-85 you shouldnt have a problem, especially if you have taller gears. When all else fails, turn up the radio ;)

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
ZimStang said:
The drone on the highway isnt bad at all given you keep the RPMs above 2k-2200. Thats the range that your mufflers drone at. If youre doing 75-85 you shouldnt have a problem, especially if you have taller gears. When all else fails, turn up the radio ;)
+1 :lol:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
if you want it throaty and mean muscle sounding, get the H. If you like a more exotic bad a$$ tone, and a little more SOTP gains, than get the X. Ive seen dynographs where an o/r X puts down 5 more rwhp than an o/r H.... Go on ebay, you can get a upr o/r x for 130 including shipping. heres some links to get ya started:

new flowtech o/r h http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQitemZ7991058284QQrdZ1 171 plus sales tax :poke:

new mac o/r h http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-9...ewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQitemZ7990969162QQrdZ1 140-150 w/ shipping

New Upr o/r x http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UPR-...ewItemQQcategoryZ33633QQitemZ7991523427QQrdZ1 130 w/ shipping :pepper: :bowdown:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread