Opinions On Engine builders?

lipt0n svTE

SVT ranch truck Operator
Established Member
I am in the situation to put a built motor with kb or whipple, i want to be in the 700hp neighborhood i was wondering what shop or shops i should consider i want the best deal with the best quality work, i have looked a little at JDM and johnny lightning but there has to be more, i am located in south dakota driving any distance isn't a problem. I pretty much want a built longblock, twin screw blower exhaust and tranny w/new tq converter all in one sort of a deal just not sure who to talk to. i would like to keep this all around $15,000 thanks for any help thanks teroy

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Since driving any distance isn't a problem, call Billy at Modular Speedworx. He'll build you a killer combo (whatever you desire) and he'll do it for a very reasonable price.

http://www.modularspeedworx.com/

MSX is located in Turlock, California. See the banner in my sig. PM Lightning Larry for a personal testimony. Billy is also a Supporting Vendor here.

Stewart

Last edited:

CSHEETS

Lightning no more
Established Member
It's going to take more than $15,000 to have 700hp. A lot of little things that are need add up to a lot of $.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
700 hp isn't attainable without juice right now on our trucks, not with a twin screw IMO. You're leaving out the tuning needed to get there as well. For a package deal like that I'd call around as well.

RBakerian

IWHINE
Established Member
Eesh.. Isn't 600HP atainable "fairly" easily?

Correct me if im wrong, but:
JDM Short block, $3700
KB/Whipple (I plan to go whipple) but.. $3500ish
Fuel,,tune etc..

Maybe 8-9k.. or am i living in a pipe dream.

Hey, you could always sell your truck, and take that $15k and buy a supra for $30k and have that. (least that's what supra's are selling for now, dont ask me why they are so rediculously overpriced).

FordFanStan

Established Member
RBakerian said:
JDM Short block, $3700
Fuel,,tune etc..

Maybe 8-9k..

Don't forget to get there you are going to need ported and polished heads, cams, all the little things like the pullies, aftermarket idler tensioner, belts, fuel injectors, pumps, exhaust, free flowing intake, ported lower intake, and the list goes on and on :D ... Look at spending $10k at a minimum and that doesnt count any owrk to your trans or rearend and multiple tunes... Stan

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
RBakerian said:
Eesh.. Isn't 600HP atainable "fairly" easily?

JDM Short block, $3700
Fuel,,tune etc..

Maybe 8-9k.. or am i living in a pipe dream.

No way you can make in excess of 600 HP without good flowing heads and bigger cams.
Jim

lipt0n svTE

SVT ranch truck Operator
Established Member
i would even be happy with 600hp i just want to make sure i don't have a weak link i want to cover all bases, like i said i have 15k to do so, i just want to get the most bang for my buck, i just figured if a certain place did it all might save me some money, i could certainly install a long block, tranny, and tq converter myself i guess, i really would like somebody else to be responsible for it firing the first time i guess not to get into anybody elses finances but as far as build costs am i out of line thinking that i could get 600hp with the majority of my bases covered for 15k, right now i have a predator 4lb lower c&l elbow, traction bars.

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
700 hp isn't attainable without juice right now on our trucks, not with a twin screw IMO. You're leaving out the tuning needed to get there as well. For a package deal like that I'd call around as well.
I wouldnt be so sure about that. Ronnie was 50 hp away with cams that were like stage 2.5 grinds and 21 psi. It all depends on what you want to sacrifice. Do a full race port, and get some nasty cams with a less than a 114 lsa and you might get within a few HP. I know Vin ran a 10.3 on all boost, wonder what his HP was. Theres also other avenues also, VT can do a darton wet sleeve motor and I believe they go up to 6.0L 358 ci or so. :uh oh:

Last edited:

lipt0n svTE

SVT ranch truck Operator
Established Member
well thanks guys, i think i will do some talking to billy @ modularspeedworx, as well as others, besides that has anyone here gone turbo yet? i remember the 4v build awhile ago but has anyone bought a kit and if so how streetable is it, beings this is going to be mostly daily driven when its nice out, i have other cars but like this one most, turbos and a built motor sounds like a crazy combo i am just not sure if i can deal without belt whine, other than that i am sure more questions will come....

FordFanStan

Established Member
It is hard to say if the 700hp is attainable or not on just boost. If anyone should know I would think it would be Gary from NorCal who has run 10.1's and 10.2's on just boost. He has got to be near those numbers you would think? He is on a standard DMP built stock stroke modular 5.4 liter engine. Though he does have a stroked DMP racing engine in his garage :eek:. First to break 9's on boost, Im willing to bet so :eek:. Dante has done a handful of strokers and soem big bores as well, he might be able to get you close to the numbers you want with a s/c, but be willing to spend all that money you have on that engine... Stan

Users who are viewing this thread