Opinions on best compact to midsize car

ff500

Established Member
In a few weeks I'll be driving around 150 miles a day 3 to 4 times a week throughout the summer plus I'll have 3 or 4 trips from Boston to the DC area which is about 1000 miles round trip. I've got a pickup but I'm only averaging about 14-15 mpg. I'm looking for a comfortable ride, good on gas, safe and dependable.

I'm going to take a look at the 2012 Focus and also a 2012 Jetta TDI, any opinions on these or maybe others I should be looking at. I'm hoping to stay in the 25K range.

Ezbok58a

Everybody needs a Blimp!
Established Member
A TDI Jetta is a questionable vehicle at best. So long as you ditch it when the warranty runs out you will be fine...

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
A TDI Jetta is a questionable vehicle at best. So long as you ditch it when the warranty runs out you will be fine...

Thats funny my daily driver is a tdi with 270k miles on it. I dont have any problems with it. I suppose I should have ditched it 210k miles ago!!!:shrug: You know, when the warranty was up.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
In a few weeks I'll be driving around 150 miles a day 3 to 4 times a week throughout the summer plus I'll have 3 or 4 trips from Boston to the DC area which is about 1000 miles round trip. I've got a pickup but I'm only averaging about 14-15 mpg. I'm looking for a comfortable ride, good on gas, safe and dependable.

I'm going to take a look at the 2012 Focus and also a 2012 Jetta TDI, any opinions on these or maybe others I should be looking at. I'm hoping to stay in the 25K range.

I have a 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback, drove it from DC to Texas and later from Texas to Missouri. very comfortable to drive on a long trip. and depending on HOW you drive you can get 35 on the highway. I tend to push the speed limits and I was getting 28-30 going 85 with the AC on. I LOVE the car. Thinking of trading it in for the Focus ST hatch. but other than that it aint going anywhere

ff500

Established Member
How's the build quality on the Kia's? I've never really owned foreign except for a Tacoma. I do like the looks of the optima.

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
Thats funny my daily driver is a tdi with 270k miles on it. I dont have any problems with it. I suppose I should have ditched it 210k miles ago!!!:shrug: You know, when the warranty was up.

I would agree in a sense with the above comment. I own a VW Golf GTI and I love the car, but I cringe everytime I have to do any sort of work to it... Those parts AINT CHEAP. But still love it and hate it lol:beer:

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member

Jesus mine before 110,000 miles had two turbos replaced, about 8-10 front wheel bearings, major electrical issues, rear wiper motor caught fire, three power window motors, front fenders replaced cause they rusted through etc etc.... what a piece of crap that car was. Luckly I had extended warranty, added up receipts for warranty repairs and it was over 12,000 so the best $1800 I ever spent that warranty was.

ff500

Established Member
I have a 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback, drove it from DC to Texas and later from Texas to Missouri. very comfortable to drive on a long trip. and depending on HOW you drive you can get 35 on the highway. I tend to push the speed limits and I was getting 28-30 going 85 with the AC on. I LOVE the car. Thinking of trading it in for the Focus ST hatch. but other than that it aint going anywhere

I like the Titanium, there's a black hatchback I'm going to look at tomorrow. I saw the ST on the Ford website but it only comes in manual, I was looking for an auto, easier for my wife to drive.

bglf83

Established Member
I got a tdi Jetta a few months ago, good mileage but it has lots of interior rattles.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I like the Titanium, there's a black hatchback I'm going to look at tomorrow. I saw the ST on the Ford website but it only comes in manual, I was looking for an auto, easier for my wife to drive.

Just so you know, the Focus with an automatic is a dog, can't get out of it's own way.

The GF has the one in my sig, but fortunatly she know's how to drive a stick.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I can only vouch for the 2010+ Fusion/Milans. We have a 2010 Milan Premier with the 3.0V6 and it moves nicely. Only roadtrip we've taken netted 30.3mpg hand calculated. Father-in-law just picked up a 2012 Fusion SEL 4 cylinder and got a 35 mpg avg on a recent trip.

You really can't go wrong with any new mid-size sedan because they all get 30 mpg more or less. Too bad you couldn't wait longer and look at the 2013 Fusions since you're buying new.

2000gtp1sc

Established Member
I'd have to vote Jetta tdi as my wife and I bought one a little over year ago and it has been flawless, so far. Has around 40k on it and just routine maintenance at this point. Gets around 45 to 50+ mpg depending on the fuel (winter vs summer fuels), and it really wasn't too pricey imo. Interior isn't super high quality, but it was a sacrifice we were willing to make for the mpg's. Hoping to get 300k miles before we replace it. May be looking at the Audi version next time for the nicer int. We'll see:) Good luck!

FWIW we never even test drove anything else comparable because we were sold on the diesel from friends and relatives opinions, so I'm more than a little biased because I don't know how to compare it to like-priced-optioned vehicles.

Last edited:

redrocket16

Established Member
How's the build quality on the Kia's? I've never really owned foreign except for a Tacoma. I do like the looks of the optima.

I drove a 2012 bottom of the line focus auto and I hated it. Auto trans felt like it took years to shift.
Drove a Mazda 3 hatch and sedan and only liked them slightly better.

Ended up with a 2012 Kia Forte Koup; solid looking car and I'm getting 30-31 on the highway. Yeah it's a kia but my money went way further there than with any other company. I didn't go look at Hyundai but they look good. The focus titanium was around 25K and was 8 grand more than the car I ended up with.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Just so you know, the Focus with an automatic is a dog, can't get out of it's own way.

The GF has the one in my sig, but fortunatly she know's how to drive a stick.
Not all of them. There were some transmission issues on the early ones i.e. the one made before sept 2011. After that they seem to have gotten the bugs worked out. I have ZERO issues with mine and it is fun to drive.

I would def. not buy a car that wasn't built after sep 2011 tho.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I drove a 2012 bottom of the line focus auto and I hated it. Auto trans felt like it took years to shift.
Drove a Mazda 3 hatch and sedan and only liked them slightly better. .
what do you expect from a bottom of the line?
Ended up with a 2012 Kia Forte Koup; solid looking car and I'm getting 30-31 on the highway. Yeah it's a kia but my money went way further there than with any other company. I didn't go look at Hyundai but they look good. The focus titanium was around 25K and was 8 grand more than the car I ended up with.
8 grand more and twice the value both at purchase time and at resale. but as long as you are happy that is all that matters. I wouldn't own a kia or a hundai either. and I am well aware that their quality has come up.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Have you considered the Honda Civic Si coupe or sedan?
If my 1992 Accord sedan ever dies (doubtful), I will probably replace it with a new Civic Si sedan.

Last edited:

Ezbok58a

Everybody needs a Blimp!
Established Member

Nice...I'm just going off of personal experience. I did press fleet work for VW, and for some reason none of their products seem to stay out of the dealer with problems. And I'm talking brand new 'get rid of them at 15k' new cars. From 2008-12 it's been the same story with them...

Users who are viewing this thread