Opinions of 2.1 KB for 96 Cobra

rowekmr

Established Member
I just got a 96 Cobra that appears all stock (needs bodywork) and want 400 rwhp at min. Found someone selling a KB 2.1 kit. How well are these made and what kind of power can I expect at 10 psi? Any other supporting mods required?

Thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
I believe those don't have an intercooler. And twin screws make some heat. You'd need fuel pump, injectors, and a larger MAF.

cbrown9064

Established Member
I looked in to it and decided to go centrifugal. On a stock 96, we have what are called "B" heads with the Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) valves. All that does not allow much room for an after cooler to cool the air charge. No one makes one commercially.

The blower is going to heat the air when it compresses it and hot intake air is a performance killer. Properly set up, the computer will pull timing with hot air. If you over ride that, eventually you will detonate bad and take out a piston.

Using methanol injection to cool the charge works good, but then you always need a full tank of meth to be available when you got WOT.

So, in my evaluation of the twin screw versus centri, I decided that going centri would be better long term.

You can put "C" heads on our motors and then a KB, whipple, Eaton, TVS... But lots of $ to get there.

Doing it right either way is not inexpensive, but not a ton of dollars either. I did mine for about $4k, used.

Users who are viewing this thread