Opinions: Black Or Red Paint Calibers?

LupercioStang

Lil Boy with Big Wheels
Established Member
I've been wanting to paint my cobra calibers from my 96 Cobra, & can't decide if black or red would be best for the overall look of the car. My cobra is Lazer Red, and the reason I'm thinking black might be a better color is because the red that's usually painted matches the Rio Red Cobras better where my paint is slightly darker so I have a feeling it will look weird since its two different reds, leading me to think black might go along better for the color of my car. I don't know maybe I'm over thinking it too much but I just want the best look for the car at the end of the day! What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!:rockon:

Sheriff41

Established Member
I have a 98 Laser Red Cobra so I know what you're saying. I think black or dark gray would be good for a subtle look. I saw one with dark blue and it was okay.

LupercioStang

Lil Boy with Big Wheels
Established Member
I have a 98 Laser Red Cobra so I know what you're saying. I think black or dark gray would be good for a subtle look. I saw one with dark blue and it was okay.

This is what I've been leaning towards, because the usual red calipers are a different red then our cars, and I don't really want to have 2 different shades, yeah I wouldn't do blue since I don't have any blue on my car. Did you paint yours black?

SVT Rob

Established Member
I prefer the red, because I want the caliper to stand out. It doesn't bother me that it wouldn't match the car. My Cobra calipers are a dark grey in color, and my PBR's on the Capri are a bright torch red. My paint color is slightly darker than the calipers.

LupercioStang

Lil Boy with Big Wheels
Established Member
I prefer the red, because I want the caliper to stand out. It doesn't bother me that it wouldn't match the car. My Cobra calipers are a dark grey in color, and my PBR's on the Capri are a bright torch red. My paint color is slightly darker than the calipers.

Yeah I see what you're saying, I guess I'd have to see a picture to make a proper decision, but I clicked on your pictures of your capri and I see what you mean, you're right it doesn't look bad.

atlanticblueV6

Established Member
My laser red has bright red calipers. Doesn't look bad. Previous owner painted them, normally I'd say black, but it looks surprisingly good

Noreast

Established Member
Black, and take a silver nail polish and paint the "cobra" with it. I have a picture of this on my laser red 96 if you would like it lol

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Get them professionally powder-coated. I had mine done and they look amazing. Clear coated too. Thepowdercoater.com
He has hundreds of colors to choose from

3d73499b.gif

6226ce12.gif

9148b34b.gif

LupercioStang

Lil Boy with Big Wheels
Established Member
Get them professionally powder-coated. I had mine done and they look amazing. Clear coated too. Thepowdercoater.com
He has hundreds of colors to choose from

3d73499b.gif

6226ce12.gif

9148b34b.gif

Damn, those look beautiful lol. It's funny because I've actually seen you post these pictures I think on another thread, and thought the same thing. How much did it cost? Did you get the rear ones done too? Do you by chance have a picture of them with the rim on?

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I don't remember how much I paid. It wasn't too expensive. I had the brackets done in gloss black as well. I have not put my rims on yet so I have no pics with the rim installed.
I originally did them blue but I didn't like the results.
a0a7f34f.jpg

LupercioStang

Lil Boy with Big Wheels
Established Member
I don't remember how much I paid. It wasn't too expensive. I had the brackets done in gloss black as well. I have not put my rims on yet so I have no pics with the rim installed.
I originally did them blue but I didn't like the results.
a0a7f34f.jpg

Its all good, thanks anyway though, but yeah the red looks better even though the blue looks good. Ever since you brought up the idea I wonder how hard it is to do it yourself? The machine is like 54 bucks, and from what I've looked up it isn't that hard.

redrocket16

Established Member
From what I understand the hard part about the powdercoating process is that you have to completely disassemble the calipers, seals and all. After the sand blast and coating you have to reassemble with the seals. That is my only concern about powdercoating mine.

SVT Rob

Established Member
Its all good, thanks anyway though, but yeah the red looks better even though the blue looks good. Ever since you brought up the idea I wonder how hard it is to do it yourself? The machine is like 54 bucks, and from what I've looked up it isn't that hard.

You can do it in the oven in your house, as long as it bakes at the right temperature. Calipers are not that large, so they would fit pretty easily.

The hardest part, after doing it, is making sure all the sand and material is out of them, so when you reassemble, you don't get clogged lines/debris. But they look a lot better powdercoated and last a lot longer, too.

I don't have wheels on my Capri, and the front end is disassembled, but I can try and shoot a few pictures showing the calipers and drums (both painted with the same color), if you'd like.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread