opinion

pr627

Established Member
I have a 96 Cobra Convertible that I bought brand new. Recently I have had some engine trbl and it looks as though its a cracked block. It has around 130K miles. I love my car and plan on keeping it. My question to anyone out there is, should I get a remanufactured engine, used engine pulled out of another cobra or just buy another block and have it built up using all the other parts from my engine. And what kinda ballpark figure would I be looking at with the different options ?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Depends on what you want with the car. I've seen some factory motors (with extrememly low miles) on e-bay for less than $2,500. If you want stock, that or a junkyard is the way to go...

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I agree with Jimbo, we need to know you plan on doing with it. if your going for performance I would buy a complete shortblock, problem thereis they will want a core and your cracked block doesnt qualify. Ebay is a decent alternative though you really wont be able to tell exactly how many or what kind of miles are on it. If you have the dough try stuffing a 5.4 Lightning engine in it, they sell those on Ebay too. If it's a daily driver with no plans on making it quicker or faster than stock I would buy a used (guaranteed) complete engine and not bother with putting your original heads back on and sell them to me for $50 :D seriously, that would be the quickest (maybe not the cheapest) way to get rolling again. Sorry I have no $$ figures. But you can check http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/html/cat01.html they have good products but they are a bit pricey.

Good Luck
Alex

Psychoholic

Established Member
While you have no motor in the car, if you can wait a while and spend the time and money on it, I'd do a sean hyland short block. They are pricey, but hold together a lot better than a stock block, plus whatever you do in the future to it, it will be able to hold more abuse (blower, nitrous, turbo, etc...). Take this opportunity to build it right instead of going back to stock with it.

just my $.02

Chris (Psychoholic)

pr627

Established Member
ok guys, just wanted to let you know what I ended up doing. since the car is pretty much a daily driver and I am not too heavy on performance except for minor mods, I bought a stock reman engine from Ford. It comes witha 2yr/24K warranty and it cost $3200. I used my old motor as the core or it woulda been 5200. I thought that was my best option as opposed to getting a motor from a junk yard for maybe only 500 less but not knowing what danger may lie ahead. I would have loved to bought a Hyland short block but that was outta my price range! Thanks for all your opinions guys !!

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
Did they say anything about the cracked block?? If not you lucked out:thumbsup:
So from Ford I can get a fresh NEW long block for $3200 (+ Core)? That is not bad AT ALL. let us know how it works out.

Alex

pr627

Established Member
well its remanufactured so I guess u can say its just like new. Yes, its only $3200 for a Cobra long block with core from your local Ford dealership parts dept. without core its $5200
the shop that replaced my engine has not sent the core back to them yet so we will see about whether or not the block is good or bad.

98red_cobra

Established Member
I got ripped off, I paid 6,600 for mine after core charge, My old block was not much off a use, and I don't think that they will give you the core charge with the block being cracked, just my .02! My orig. motor did not last long with the 150 shot+my other mods,:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread