Opinion on what this tick is

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
OMG, that sounds HORRIBLE. That's not a tick, that sounds like BANGING. As long as the headers aren't loose, they will probably have to crack that engine open!

Justicem

06/26/02 #1018
Established Member
wow. I wasn't sure if I had the famous tick or not. But now listening to yours, my noise must just be the injectors cause its not that loud at all. I guess its the head problem like everyone is talking about.

Justicem

06/26/02 #1018
Established Member
wait, i just noticed when yours was built. How many miles do you have on it, and did this noise just start?

AhlCobra

Established Member
I bought the car with about 31700 miles on it about 3 months ago, it now has 33000 on it. The noise started on Saturday, I have not driven it since then. The sound seemed to be a lot louder under the car near the transmission... so I was not sure if this was the infamous tick or if it was something to do with the tranny or clutch... Thanks for the replies, keep them coming! I will post what the problem was when I get more information... like I said I am taking to the dealership tomorrow.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
That's not the tick.

That is far louder than the tick, but I can't tell from a video where it's coming from.

Take it in for repairs.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by AhlCobra
.....The sound seemed to be a lot louder under the car near the transmission...

I'm gonna guess that the TOB retainer is wasted and the clutch fork is bouncing around and banging on the trans case/inspection cover or pressure plate fingers

does the clutch seem fugged up?

edit: maybe loose pressure plate bolts ??

Last edited:

AhlCobra

Established Member
no, the clutch does not seem messed up at all. The sound like I said is louder underneath close to the tranny.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
My SVT dealership verified I have the famous "tick." I can definitely hear the tick on my car, but it doesn't sound anything like yours. As stated above, yours sounds more likea banging noise. Take it to the dealer.

AhlCobra

Established Member
I am taking it to the dealer either tomorrow or Friday, I will keep all of you updated on the outcome. Thanks for the responses.

AhlCobra

Established Member
The Cobra is at the dealer. I am driving a Neon rental car.... I may need to trade for the neon, No Ticks!!:rockon: I will post when I find something else out. The Service Man said he would call me tomorrow to let me know where they are on it, or if they have it figured out. I am leaning towards the TOB.

Users who are viewing this thread