Opinion...? Dumb Idea

69Mach1351w

Established Member
Guys, I like the glass roof, my 11' doesn't have it though.
I had an 03 10anny vert cobra before this car.

After thinking for a while, glass roof seems to taunt you to almost having a vert, yet you cannot do much other than close and open the sun shade. So it's limited to what it truely offers.

THE QUESTION: What about a sunroof on the GT500? Anyone have one installed?

I fear that
A) you would have to trust someone to cut the roof :eek:
B) risk leaks with aftermarket sunroofs(a myth still with aftermarket?:shrug:)
C) structural integrity would be compromised and weaken the 'soundness' of the car?

Pro:
A) don't have to buy new car
B) a bit of the " best of both worlds " vert and coupe : open and strong
C) probably about as much as the glass roof option
D) less weight than glass roof and vert?

Figured that I would throw this out there to see what you guys think:pop:

mullens

Established Member
Shelby...sunroof....nah. Doesn't sound right. Leave the sunroofs for the Chargers and Beemers. JMO.

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Chop the roof 5 inches lower and put a sunroof in so you can drive with your head out of the car..

It's the new thing to do... Didn't you already know that?

Frank A.

Established Member
No idea is dumb! just some are better

I would be concerned with the dynamics of the air moving over and around the car

I have driven some foreign works of art that vibrate above 60mph with roof open and windows closed ---- and these were factory sun roofs

your toy - play as you wish - but I wouldn't ever buy a car that the sun roof wasn't factory

I have a Lincoln MKX for winter /vacation use. It has a BAMR! Big azz moon roof, but it is designed in the cars dynamcis

Frank A.

white88lx

Established Member
only problem I have with the glass roof is if you add a lot of power and thru a pair of slicks on your chassis is going to flex and twist. Power + traction = twisting

Glass isnt the most forgiving of material, i dont know if it's actually glass or they use some type of plexi but either way i dont know the 'durability" of the material

This is just my thought, havent read of any problems but its just where my goes too with glass roofs

stick with what ya got

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I am a vert guy, but didn't favor the new stang design in the vert, I really like the coupe lines. I waited & waited, and they came out with the glass roof in '11. So I got mine. I love it. I'm a big time motorcycle guy, I have 7, been riding since I was 6 yrs old, I've had 9 verts since 1991, this is the 1st stang I've had in my last 5 that is not a vert. And my verdict is I love it & so does everyone who gets in the car. I love the open cockpit, but I'm not missing it with this, you get all the openess, just no wind. I feel the opposite on the sunroof, you get all the wind noise & not much openess. I have a new MKX also with that panaramic roof, and that's an exception, it's amonster, and fully opened, it's like a targa, pretty cool, but a sunroof on a stang, I don't think it'll get you close to what you want, but rather lots of wind noise with little openess.

But, to the question, can a die hard vert guy be happy in a glass roof coupe, hec ya, again I love it. And to the focused drag racer, it's definitely an issue to think about, but for me, after 25 yrs of drag racing, my focus shifted 5 yrs ago to raod racing, and it is a wonderful thing road racing & nothing to worry about on the track, as the car performs awesomely. Here's some footage on track with the glass roof.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is7yA9POqcg"]Summit Point 7-16-2011 Shenandoah Circuit Session 2 - YouTube[/nomedia]

NuclearPower

Established Member
Most aftermarket sunroofs no longer leak( and come with warranty in case it does), but in the high HP, and high torque like we have this could be an issue. You would probably want to add frame stiffners just to be sure.

The thing to consider is that it will open to the outside not the inside. With it open it would look wack:loser:IMO. I also agree that it would throw the dynamics of the rear of the car, something the Shelby does not need. Its loose enough on its own.

REDNIGHTMARE

Established Member
No way I would pay someone to cut a hole in my roof in my GT500, if it didnt come out of the Ford factory with a sun roof I wouldnt do it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i say sell or trade yours an get a 2011-2012 with glass roof or vert

69Mach1351w

Established Member
I am a vert guy, but didn't favor the new stang design in the vert, I really like the coupe lines. I waited & waited, and they came out with the glass roof in '11. So I got mine. I love it. I'm a big time motorcycle guy, I have 7, been riding since I was 6 yrs old, I've had 9 verts since 1991, this is the 1st stang I've had in my last 5 that is not a vert. And my verdict is I love it & so does everyone who gets in the car. I love the open cockpit, but I'm not missing it with this, you get all the openess, just no wind. I feel the opposite on the sunroof, you get all the wind noise & not much openess. I have a new MKX also with that panaramic roof, and that's an exception, it's amonster, and fully opened, it's like a targa, pretty cool, but a sunroof on a stang, I don't think it'll get you close to what you want, but rather lots of wind noise with little openess.

But, to the question, can a die hard vert guy be happy in a glass roof coupe, hec ya, again I love it. And to the focused drag racer, it's definitely an issue to think about, but for me, after 25 yrs of drag racing, my focus shifted 5 yrs ago to raod racing, and it is a wonderful thing road racing & nothing to worry about on the track, as the car performs awesomely. Here's some footage on track with the glass roof.

Summit Point 7-16-2011 Shenandoah Circuit Session 2 - YouTube

Thanks for the reply. I think power is where I'll focus my money. I love the verts, but the coupe lines are so clean. Great reply and vid.

Users who are viewing this thread