Opened up my cobra engine and now I'm confused and surprised

EFFURJDM

Established Member
Hey guys well I googled and searched for what I was looking for but no clear answer maybe I can get a straight answer from someone on here .

So I have a 99 cobra and I'm not the original owner. I spun a rod bearing and now I'm in the processes of getting it ready to rebuild. Well I didn't notice till I was pulling the crank out , that I noticed I have a 6 bolt crank....

I thought cobras come with 8 bolt cranks. Well I also notice my engine has been pulled apart before due to head gaskets and markings on rods. So I'm confused I'm not sure what is what on my engine.

My block has a 99 stamped on the side and to my best knowledge it's a tekside block due to the checkered think valley on top of the block.

So idk if the last owner swapped a diff crank in this engine and rods and pistons .

So I want to know can a 6 bolt and 8 bolt crank can be interchange with out modifying the block ? Can I throw a 8 bolt crank back in with new rods and pistons ?

Any help would be great thx a lot !!

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Hey guys well I googled and searched for what I was looking for but no clear answer maybe I can get a straight answer from someone on here .

So I have a 99 cobra and I'm not the original owner. I spun a rod bearing and now I'm in the processes of getting it ready to rebuild. Well I didn't notice till I was pulling the crank out , that I noticed I have a 6 bolt crank....

I thought cobras come with 8 bolt cranks. Well I also notice my engine has been pulled apart before due to head gaskets and markings on rods. So I'm confused I'm not sure what is what on my engine.

My block has a 99 stamped on the side and to my best knowledge it's a tekside block due to the checkered think valley on top of the block.

So idk if the last owner swapped a diff crank in this engine and rods and pistons .

So I want to know can a 6 bolt and 8 bolt crank can be interchange with out modifying the block ? Can I throw a 8 bolt crank back in with new rods and pistons ?

Any help would be great thx a lot !!

Yes all cobras have 8 bolt cranks. If the valley is showing checkered (same as a tic tac toe grid) then yes its a teksid. WAP blocks are diamond shaped.

But you can swap out the crank and new rods and pistons. Just check the mains to confirm they are still on the original size/bore.

-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread