Open Track Video @ Texas World Speedway

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Last edited:

SteveWK

Established Member
Awesome video! Looks like you passed everyone on the track. I got a chuckle out of the Boss 302 near the end. He was trying so hard to stay in front - lol. I think it was a Boss anyway.

I hear you on the brakes. I've had 6 track days at Hallett in the last 11 months and I managed to boil my brake fluid once and that was DOT 4 fluid too. You make a good point about the wheel bearings. i need to check that out before I go back. I'm glad you have the link to those ubercool brake ducts you fabbed up. I was just thinking the other day who did that. I'm going to copy those because God only knows how much this car needs them.

I have a whole new suspension this year. BMR K-member, BMR control arms, BMR sway bar, and Griggs Koni coil overs on the front. The rear has everything Griggs has to offer. I still have some tweaking and minor issues to work out, but man can this car put some power down coming off the turns now. The shop at Hallett did the install, and I drove it on the track the day I picked it up. I'm going to have to recalibrate my driving. Thanks Van! I think the MPSS are the limiting factor now.

Speaking of tires, what do you run and what rims to you run them on? I really don't want to dump 6k into tires and rims if at all possible.

Steve

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
That is good speed on the front straight at TWS. I bet that car feels so good pulling on the straight.

And Hallett and brakes....probably the hardest track I have driven in regards to brake abuse.

Tom

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
That is good speed on the front straight at TWS. I bet that car feels so good pulling on the straight.

And Hallett and brakes....probably the hardest track I have driven in regards to brake abuse.

Tom

Tom the car is very stable at high speeds and drives like a dream. I took one my friends out in it that drive a boss and he was speechless when he got out.

I ordered a complete set of two piece rotors for the car. (RB Racing brakes) The racing pads I use are not compatible with the soft factory rotors.

Last edited:

LostPony

Established Member
I'm going to have to call BS on this video. At 6:30-7:00 minutes you "supposedly" passed a silver Terminator. We all know that ain't plausible on SVTP. j/k Nice run!

I found myself wondering where the hell you were going a few times as the track looks confusing in a few areas where the intersecting roads are. Also, I never would have guessed the driver in the Laguna was a instructor as his inputs look abrupt. Car darted in at turn in, and rear very loose coming out indicating too much throttle. I have a buddy in the area so maybe I'll get to run that course someday!

paluka21

Established Member
Very impressive. Really enjoyed your vids. Car looks like an animal on the track.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
I'm going to have to call BS on this video. At 6:30-7:00 minutes you "supposedly" passed a silver Terminator. We all know that ain't plausible on SVTP. j/k Nice run!

I found myself wondering where the hell you were going a few times as the track looks confusing in a few areas where the intersecting roads are. Also, I never would have guessed the driver in the Laguna was a instructor as his inputs look abrupt. Car darted in at turn in, and rear very loose coming out indicating too much throttle. I have a buddy in the area so maybe I'll get to run that course someday!

That's funny... That Terminator is my old car. All delrin bushings and MM coil-overs ect. I sold it to a close friend with 10K track miles on it. He had a passenger and was driving slow. :xll: The instructor is a great driver we just like screwing around. I was taking some strange inside lines to mess with his lines.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
The GoPro held up well given the straightaway speeds. Standard Suction Mount or something custom???? Do Tell

Yes standard mount on the front windshield.

Very impressive. Really enjoyed your vids. Car looks like an animal on the track.

Thanks. I'm very happy with my purchase ! The 03 took me years to get track worthy and a lot of $$$$$.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

TWS is a really cool track. It was a 2 mile oval built in the late 60s. It went broke and ended up with structural issues with the main grandstands rendering them useless. It sat dormant for years and then gained popularity as a club track and test facility.

It is a really big oval and has an indoor road course, typical to most rovals. The cool thing they did was build the back straightaway wall so it could be opened so you actually go from the infield course and go out the back wall and run outside the back of the oval. You do a few high-speed banked turns and then come back into the oval. A really cool concept that makes a roval much more fun.

Tom

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Tom the car is very stable at high speeds and drives like a dream. I took one my friends out in it that drive a boss and he was speechless when he got out.

I ordered a complete set of two piece rotors for the car. (RB Racing brakes) The racing pads I use are not compatible with the soft factory rotors.
Have you considered these rotors?

http://fordracingparts123.com/chass...-inch-2-piece-brake-rotor-pair-m-1125-msvt15/

Will be very interested in how the RB's last. What pads are you running?
S.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Have you considered these rotors?

http://fordracingparts123.com/chass...-inch-2-piece-brake-rotor-pair-m-1125-msvt15/

Will be very interested in how the RB's last. What pads are you running?
S.

I did consider the ford racing rotors but they don't offer a slotted rotor. To me the bite is better on a slotted rotor. Also I didn't want to invest in a rotor that is possibly a little better than what I have. With RB racing rotors I know what i'm getting.

I'm running Performance Friction 06 compound on the front.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I did consider the ford racing rotors but they don't offer a slotted rotor. To me the bite is better on a slotted rotor. Also I didn't want to invest in a rotor that is possibly a little better than what I have. With RB racing rotors I know what i'm getting.

I'm running Performance Friction 06 compound on the front.
Thanks for the info.
How many days/sessions do you expect to get out of the RB rotors?

I see your cooling duct link, FWIW I should be posting up some pics of some neat little aluminum deflectors that we are putting on my car. They mount on the A-arm and scoop air up to the caliper/rotor.
S.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Thanks for the info.
How many days/sessions do you expect to get out of the RB rotors?

I see your cooling duct link, FWIW I should be posting up some pics of some neat little aluminum deflectors that we are putting on my car. They mount on the A-arm and scoop air up to the caliper/rotor.
S.

No idea how long they will last. I'll be happy if I get 30+ track days out of the front rotors. The rear should last a long time.

Please post up your A-arm scoops. They have been used for years on the euro cars and work well.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
No idea how long they will last. I'll be happy if I get 30+ track days out of the front rotors. The rear should last a long time.

Please post up your A-arm scoops. They have been used for years on the euro cars and work well.
I'm out of town (from the car) this week and am running 2-days at Daytona next week. They should be going on the car before I go to Sebring later in the month and I'll post some pics. I saw your setup and my only concern is tearing up the scoops on and off the trailer, but it looks pretty helpful. Did you do any before/after testing with a temp gun?
S.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
I'm out of town (from the car) this week and am running 2-days at Daytona next week. They should be going on the car before I go to Sebring later in the month and I'll post some pics. I saw your setup and my only concern is tearing up the scoops on and off the trailer, but it looks pretty helpful. Did you do any before/after testing with a temp gun?
S.

I didn't do any before and after testing. I figure anything is better than what we have... Nothing :) Rotor temp paint is on the way. If the temp is still to high I'll add brake cooling duct fans.

Have fun at Daytona.

Users who are viewing this thread