Open Track Days?

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
I've been wanting to hit the track with my car since I got it, but I'm just so out of the loop that I've no idea when or where they are. Anyone know where and when an open track day is this summer? I'd love to see all you Cobra guys scream passed me with those blowers.

More-over, would my stock GT (all I have is a steeda shifter and free mods) hold up to a day of hard driving at the track, or would I need better brakes? My shit fades to the floor going from 120mph down to 30-40mph as it is. Is it safe to run the stock brakes that hot, for prolonged periods of time? Do I need any special certs, equipment or liscenses?

Any info is greatly appreciated (links, articles or even a phone call are all welcome). It's getting riskier all the time trying to drive my car fast on the street. I already got one nasty ticket (which was fixed, but still...), and want to take it to the track and have some good safe fun.

luv2hiss

Transplanted again...
Established Member
First of all if all you have are those few mods, you'll be lucky to hit 99 mph on the strip. Secondly, you do not need to upgrade your brakes just to drag race at the track. The track rentals are on Wednesday's at New England Dragway. Cost is $100 per person from 12pm to 5pm.

As for your car standing up to a hard day of racing? It's a crap shoot. All depends on how good of condition your car is in. You don't mention how many miles it has. My 99 GT that I just sold a month ago had 74k miles on it when I bought it 3 years ago. When I sold it, it had 115k and during those 3 yrs it regularly went to the track and made anywhere from 4-10 runs per trip. Never broke anything. It's all in how you drive it.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
If Cobra or Brembo 00R brakes are not in your budget, then some good pads like some hawk HP+ (good for an occasional open track car), and some SS braided lines, rotors in good shape, will be enough for your stock brake system to be sufficient for 20 minute open track sessions....This will be especially true if you are running on street tires, as your speeds will be lower than if you were running on R compounds. Otherwise, just makes sure the car is in a well maintained state, and isn't leaking any fluids.

Go to www.comscc.com for some open track school events.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Davesnake said:
I think he's refering to an open track event....like NHIS,Limerock,Watkins Glen etc...

Dave

Yep, that's what I was refering to.

My car has 51k miles and I take good care of it. A 1/4 mile track day would be boring for me, as my car isn't a HP freak, and I need prolonged driving to itch my scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread