Open Track Day

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Hi guys, I took the Cobra to the Lotus Club Open Track day at Portland International Raceway last Friday. I'ts taken this long to get the "perma-grin" off my face!!

There were a number of Lotus's, BMW M3's, BMW Z3's, Z M type SW/coupe's, an NSX, 4 Z06's, a Viper, some Mercedes, etc. Mine was the only Mustang.

Well I was very impressed with my near stock Cobra. My only mod so far is a new Magnaflow catback that I had just installed the day before. Even with the stock suspension and tires the car handles very well. It was very neutral in the turns and I could throw it into the turn then steer it with the throttle. In the turns it held it's own with all the street tire equipped cars but the ones with Kumho or Hoosier track tires were pulling ahead in the twisty sections then I could blow by them on the two straightaways. Only two cars passed me, the modified 520 HP Viper coupe and a liitle Wakefield Lotus Super 7 replica with a 140 HP motorcycle engine. That car weighed under 1000 lb. and went like hell!

Fuel mileage was interesting! From Vancouver Canada to Portland (6 hours) it got 23,8 mpg. From Portland back to Vancouver it got 25 mpg. At the track I put on 122 miles and went through 24 gallons of fuel, for about 5 mpg! I filled it up at noon and then drove 65 miles and ran out of gas!! At least it dumped boost and went into limp mode. I first thought it had hurt the engine or thrown the blower belt but then sae the gas needle below the empty mark and the low fuel light on!

For the next events I plan to buy some Kumho Victoracer track tires and better brake pads. I used it pretty hard and it wore about 1/3 of the tread off the Goodyears, and the brake pads are history now. Only 3000 miles on the car and the brakes and tires were barely worn before the track event.

I have some AFS 10.5 in wide rear rims and will try the Kumho 315 - 35 - 17's on the rears and the 275's on front. Also in the future are the MM IRS bushings and possibly some slightly lower and firmer springs. Also some subframe connectors and spring tower braces. I thought the QA1 12 way adjustable shocks may also be good plus some temporary weight removal during the events, and a battery re-location, etc. It's a slippery slope!!

I did almost 20 years of NHRA in Competition Eliminator so this is a new change and seems like a lot of fun. Except for the tire and brake costs!!!

Any other track experience and suggestions will be appreciated.

Gord

Cobra-R

Established Member
Welcome to the addiction. It only gets worse (ie: better) from here. :)

If this was your first event, my main recommendation would be to do safety mods first (brake pads, cooling, roll cage, harnesses, ect) and keep performance mods on hold. Correct problems that you actually identify holding you back on the car, as you progress you will find that one of the main problems with the Mustangs is their push in corners.
You will probly run faster with Victoracers, but I would suggest that you wait to switch to track tires until you have a few more events under your belt. Track tires can mask alot of driver's bad habits which can take a long time to unlearn.
Hit all the events you can, get as many instructors possible to ride with you, and you will be really cooking before you know it. It's a learning curve that will never end, but it sure is fun learning. ;)

Good luck, Brian

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Thanks Brian, You have some good advice!!

I found that the 03 Cobra did not push at all with the stock suspension settings. Very neutral. and could be taken into oversteer easily with the throttle. Basically I was able to drive it like a twin engine Go Kart, or maybe I was just driving it that way because that's how i started into this whole automotive love - by building and racing Go Karts from 12 years old, then Trans Am sedans, then NHRA.

Also the tire thing is mainly to avoid wearing out the expensive Goodyears right away, but I think you are right that they can help to mask driving imperfections!

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread