open exhaust

Sonicblu0311

Established Member
Lancaster (village), New York, United States
Hey guys, finally getting the car down to the finishing points, for my downpipes i was thinking about open down pipes out the sides of the front fenders or just out the bottom. I will be running open wastegates as well, how loud you guys think they will be? It will be driven on the street a bit, my buddies trans am with open dp isnt too loud but i just want a second opinion

nanastymach1

Established Member
Mine sounds terrible with open downpipes...twin hellion kit 03 cobra, pops back like popcorn on decel, and idle /low rpm sounds bad but sounds really good spooling the turbos makes it whistle really good ...overall I hate it tho...I even installed cutouts in the back of the down pipes and its terrible too lol...

I tried a full setup - 3 inch down pipes, Bassani 3 inch x pipe,magnapack straight through mufflers, and 3 in Bassani axle back and it was toooooo quiet...

So we took the x pipe off and did downpipes to magnapacks and 3 inch axle back...and its ok but I don't love it,I wish I did just no mufflers and straight pipes back or maybe borla stingers

nanastymach1

Established Member
It sounds like open headers on a truck or something with a big exhaust leak but I don't have Any vids but I'll shoot some when I replace my pads this weekend

itSSlow98

Established Member
Im not twins but I have a cutout right at the end of the trans that has a turndown on it, then run a single 3" back to a 9x16 magnaflow straight through. Its loud and spools way faster with the cutout open.....but when i close it ont he highway the car is silent. Best of both worlds IMO.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
From the cars that i have built. If its a stock motor with stock unported heads and stock cams its not all that loud with open downpipes. I would say comparable to your typically blower cobra with an offroad midpipe and a magnapack type muffler. Now if it has ported heads and cams, it will be much louder. I always drove around with an open wastegate and open downpipe on my car. I never got to the point where it was too loud for me. Here is an idea of what it sounded like.

Testing the 2 step Turbo 03 Cobra - Car Videos on StreetFire

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
I've heard a few big horsepower turbo Cobra's in person with open downpipes and they sound good, in my opinion. That's what I'll be running any way.

That's aside from the fact it's super functional obvuiously.

4.6pimp

Established Member
Here is mine on my mach1. 3.5" downpipe.
20130106_170846_zps7731a597.jpg

20130106_170908_zps35779f11.jpg

CSC_0502_zpsba2b78bc.jpg

CSC_0499_zpsfda80176.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread