Open Container in Kansas?

novass72

Established Member
I recieved an open container violation recently and looked up to find that the maximum penalty for a first offense in Kansas is up to $200 dollar fine and or up to 6 months in jail. Is this right?

Also how crucial is getting a lawyer in this situation? I dont have a lot of extra money these days and am wondering if i can handle it myself.

Will this affect my insurance in any way?

And before I get flamed I know it was stupid but the bottle was 95% full, I was taking it to my buddies house for a night of bbq and tile laying.

Any advice would be very appreciated ....Thanks.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I recieved an open container violation recently and looked up to find that the maximum penalty for a first offense in Kansas is up to $200 dollar fine and or up to 6 months in jail. Is this right?

Also how crucial is getting a lawyer in this situation? I dont have a lot of extra money these days and am wondering if i can handle it myself.

Will this affect my insurance in any way?

And before I get flamed I know it was stupid but the bottle was 95% full, I was taking it to my buddies house for a night of bbq and tile laying.

Any advice would be very appreciated ....Thanks.

Are you under 21? What was in the bottle? Was it liquor? Where was it in the vehicle?

Edit: Either way it is a criminal charge (misdemeanor) and that being said you dont want a criminal conviction on your record. I would recommend an attorney.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
No Im 22 and it was in the back passenger area on the floor. Yes it was liqour, will that make a difference? Thanks.

Some states do differentiate with a bottle of liquor but not if it is within your reach.

I highly suggest getting an attorney as a criminal conviction will impact your future ability to get certain professional licenses as well as a government security clearance.

novass72

Established Member
thanks for your help....one more dumb question....will this in any way affect my insurance even if I get a lawyer and try to get it off my record?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
thanks for your help....one more dumb question....will this in any way affect my insurance even if I get a lawyer and try to get it off my record?

It is not a moving violation therefore it should not impact your auto insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread