Open Container = Class C? (LEOs only please)

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
Two people are in a car pulled over for no front plate. Person A had an open beer in their lap that Person B claimed was theirs because they knew they had a warrant and were going to jail anyway. There was also 1 joint in the car (also claimed to be Person B's). Person B was arrested and Person A was let go, but the officer had Person A sign something before leaving and did not give Person A a copy, all the officer provided was a case number (I think) to call and check the status.

What do you think Person A signed and what do you think is worst case scenario for their record?

Also (and completely unrelated) is it legal to change lanes in an active school zone?

EDIT: Both of these questions are for Texas if that makes a difference and neither person is me so feel free to make fun.

Last edited:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Having an open container in the vehicle is not an arrestable offense. An officer must issue a citation for it and it can be taken care of with a $100.00-$250.00 fine depending where you are at. You cannot be placed under custodial arrest for Speeding and Open Container. All other offenses are jailable if the officer chooses to go that route.
There is no law that I'm aware of that says you cannot change lanes in an active school zone. Unless, there could be a city ordinance prohibiting this?

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
There is no law that I'm aware of that says you cannot change lanes in an active school zone. Unless, there could be a city ordinance prohibiting this?

I thought I had heard it somewhere and I drive through a school zone daily and there's almost always an officer in a left turn lane and he seems to randomly chirp the sirens. The only pattern I've been able to discern is someone changing lanes. :shrug: oh well, thanks for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread