Open alcohol container in public & self sealing drinking packs

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Just a quick question regarding open alcohol container in public & self sealing drinking packs such as a Camelbak bottle or backpack and the like. http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

These things are self sealing so technically, if you were sipping an alcoholic beverage from it while in public and if no one saw you sip from it, would you be free of trouble?

Thanks.

txyaloo

Established Member
Just a quick question regarding open alcohol container in public & self sealing drinking packs such as a Camelbak bottle or backpack and the like. http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

These things are self sealing so technically, if you were sipping an alcoholic beverage from it while in public and if no one saw you sip from it, would you be free of trouble?

Thanks.

If no one saw you drinking from it, how would you get cited in the first place? In Texas, I believe if it's not in the original can/bottle, thus the seal has been broken, and you can be cited for open container.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
If no one saw you drinking from it, how would you get cited in the first place?

I was thinking if a LEO smelled it on my breath or something.

In Texas, I believe if it's not in the original can/bottle, thus the seal has been broken, and you can be cited for open container

If that's the case, i guess that answers the question. :) Can an LEO's confirm?

Thanks.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If you are drinking in public and there is a reason for a L.E.O. to stop and talk to you, and he smells alcohol on your breath, it will give reason for further inquiry.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
another question.

before a sporting event/concert when some people are tailgating, does the whole "if you pour it in a solo cup police cant do anything, because its not a beer can/bottle"

does that hold hold any water?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
another question.

before a sporting event/concert when some people are tailgating, does the whole "if you pour it in a solo cup police cant do anything, because its not a beer can/bottle"

does that hold hold any water?

I know on daytona beach it doesn't. I'm NOT speaking from personal experience back in high school when we used to skip class...lol

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
If you are drinking in public and there is a reason for a L.E.O. to stop and talk to you, and he smells alcohol on your breath, it will give reason for further inquiry.

Gotcha. So i understand you can still be guilty of being intoxicated in public but with a self sealing container such as the ones camelbak sells, would you still be in violation of the open container laws?

That's all i really want to know. I already long since assumed they have thought of such things but a co-worker of mine got in to the discussion and I figured i'd ask. :)

Svt-Sonic

Established Member
Suppose this is related,

How come the sterotypical homeless guy with the bottle wrapped in the paper bag takes place? Is the fact its wrapped up make it no longer illegal, or is it just as easily to be ticketed as if the bottle were out in the open?

orange2004cobra

Established Member
A LEO can site you for the camel bag if he wants, wether its technically open or not.
Then one could go before a judge and try to argue the point that "technically" it wasnt an open container.
But if you have ever been before a judge, then you already know that that will not go over too well..

Kind of like if the tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound..

If your drunk in public, and have alchohol in any container that is not what it was originally packaged in anywhere on your person, its gonna stick no matter how its written up IMO..

Users who are viewing this thread