onstar?

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
So my wifes Montanna has an onstar system installed and if somebody decided they wanted to steal a minivan..( :lol1: ) then
theoretically onstar could tell us where it is so the police could get it.

Now why doesnt Ford have anything like this? or do they?

svt-tmleader

Established Member
No Ford doesn't have a system like this yet. They are working on a system for Lincoln. At least it is a start. Actually I saw a story on a device that would make it impossible to steal a car. Installed at the factory, cost would be $20. Or $50 aftermarket. I guess the big question is, why isn't this available yet?

Rob03

Established Member
Originally posted by svt-tmleader
No Ford doesn't have a system like this yet. They are working on a system for Lincoln. At least it is a start. Actually I saw a story on a device that would make it impossible to steal a car. Installed at the factory, cost would be $20. Or $50 aftermarket. I guess the big question is, why isn't this available yet?

I don't think any device can fool someone trying to steal your car with a flatbed tow truck. They can just slide your car up and away they go. This is rare but it does happen. No device is 100% fool proof, there are just too many smart people out there. JMO.

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

CobraCallie

Banned
Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
So my wifes Montanna has an onstar system installed and if somebody decided they wanted to steal a minivan..( :lol1: ) then
theoretically onstar could tell us where it is so the police could get it.

Now why doesnt Ford have anything like this? or do they?

OnStar has a contract with whatever company the Montana is from (GM?)... Ford is getting something like that for the Lincolns.. and soon later on the Fords.. I think the thing for the Lincoln's is coming out around 2005.

Users who are viewing this thread