one wheel peel

CbiScuT

Established Member
Are these trucks (2nd gen) one wheel peel wonders? I'm new to these trucks and have discovered that my L only seems to light the passenger side tire when I floor it. Or do I have something wrong? :shrug:

coild

Established Member
They are all Traction Lok diffs. You should be lighting up both tires. Might be a problem in the differential.

tpr103

Established Member
i would try changing the the fluids in the rear first, don't forget to at a friction modifier. how many miles do you have on the truck

CbiScuT

Established Member
I agree about fluids. A buddy of mine works at our local dealership and he recommended changing or servicing the rear first. It's got 120k on it and I know for a fact it's never been cracked open before (I bought this thing used but know all the previous owners), so it's scheduled to get serviced on Fri. If that doesn't take care of it, then I'm looking at an Auburn...

CbiScuT

Established Member
Yeah from what I'm finding, it'll be just as expensive or even cheaper to go aftermarket as it would be to go back with another Trac Lok.

CbiScuT

Established Member
Update:

I serviced the rear yesterday, geez 75w140 is not cheap; $18 a quart. At least the friction modifier was still $4. But anyway, once the old fluid was drained, a thorough inspection was done of the pan and diff, we noticed tiny little powder like metal mixed in the old fluid. Thankfully there were no chunks or large metal shavings, or at least nothing significant that would warrant a replacement, so we sealed it back up and added the new fluid. Once I put about 15 miles on it, two black marks on the driveway confirmed that it just needed servicing. Thanx for the info guys!

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
i did notice, that with such good tech support here, you should reward them with some tire carnage pix!!! hint hint. lol

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I don't see how changing you fluid is going to fix the worn clutch problem. I hope you didn't just through out $100 dollars on rear end dope. And find out your still making power only to one wheel. The friction modifier is to make the fluid more slippery, it's not to create friction on the clutches.
I went through the same thing 2 years ago. I ended up putting in a Detroit TrueTrac. I haven't had a issue with putting power to both wheels since. Matt

Last edited:

CbiScuT

Established Member
I don't see how changing you fluid is going to fix the worn clutch problem. I hope you didn't just through out $100 dollars on rear end dope. And find out your still making power only to one wheel. The friction modifier is to make the fluid more slippery, it's not to create friction on the clutches.
I went through the same thing 2 years ago. I ended up putting in a Detroit TrueTrac. I haven't had a issue with putting power to both wheels since. Matt

I spent $65 on fluids. The evidence on my driveway says it's working now. Maybe it's a Christmas miracle :shrug:. If that didn't fix it, then oh well, it's $65. That's still cheaper than an oil change on my wife's Trailblazer SS. One call to Summit will fix the problem for good if the fluid change did not.

CbiScuT

Established Member
i did notice, that with such good tech support here, you should reward them with some tire carnage pix!!! hint hint. lol

I'm in Kansas. It was sunny and nearly 60 degrees yesterday when I serviced the rear, today we are in blizzard conditions with thunder and lightning (never heard of that before) mixed in with the 30-40 mph blowing snow and near zero visability, but hey that's Kansas for ya. So, I think I'll have to wait an hour or two from now when it'll be 60 again before I can get some tire fryin' proof.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
I agree, do a fluid change first to see if that works.. if that doesn't solve the one wheel wonder, It'll be a good time to start investing in a Detroit True Trac.

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
Just save your time and money and put a Detroit TT in. I didn't have any problem with my old setup. I just want to put a TT in because I was going to open the rear for new bearings and a rear TA girdle.
So Now, I have this in place.
TrueTrac006.jpg

With this covering it.
lightning002.jpg

Now I don't worry at all.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I spent $65 on fluids. The evidence on my driveway says it's working now. Maybe it's a Christmas miracle :shrug:. If that didn't fix it, then oh well, it's $65. That's still cheaper than an oil change on my wife's Trailblazer SS. One call to Summit will fix the problem for good if the fluid change did not.

If it turns out it wasn't a miracle
Mark @LFP has the best price on the Detroit TrueTrac. :thumbsup:

Schmuckingham

Established Member
With the TT what else needs changed when doing it beside the diff cover gasket? This isnt a just drop in swap is it, probably have to shim and everyhting to get proper tooth contact pattern

Users who are viewing this thread