One Wheel Peel

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Last month at Gingerman I noticed the rear end would spin the inside wheel on Sunday. Yesterday, I noticed the dreaded 'one wheel peel'. Today, I placed the shifter in neutral, jacked up the car and spun my rear tire with one finger. Less than 5 pounds on the torque wrench.

Crap. Now I need to decide between throwing in Postban's old diff + 3.55's or a Torsen T2R + 4.10's. Of course, this needs to be done by Sept 10.

I'm open for any feedback.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
...that's what I was thinking. My wife asked how much it would cost - I told her only $50. Unfortunately she know the stock Postban answer - $50 how many times?

I'm evaluating my parts know and am going to do a cost analysis; keeping in mind that Scratchy's old diff. will only work for a year.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Jpjr said:
What about Sracthy's old diff.. plus a 4.10 swap?

Yeah, if $$ or time is an issue, 4.10s and an extra clutch pack in the diff is a good alternative.
BTW, I don't know if you drag race on slicks or DRs, but I've heard they'll toast a Torsen in short order. -J

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback....

I've been advised that the stock differential will not last very long - as I have found out the hard way. I'm leaning toward the Torsen and 3.55's at this point, I'm checking on pricing now.

Postban - did you have a Cobra pinion flange, or did you sell/use it?

Can anyone recommend someone to set up a differential?

TIA

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
03gobluecobra said:
How in the heck did you break your diff? Is this due to over heating?

Definetly over heating. 95+ ambient temperature, 105+ track temperature, Bassani heat exchanger. Contributing factors: more grip from the coil-overs, BF IRS brace, and 'R' compound tires. I went around the corners much faster which heats up the differential.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
MidLifeC said:
Thanks for the feedback....

I've been advised that the stock differential will not last very long - as I have found out the hard way. I'm leaning toward the Torsen and 3.55's at this point, I'm checking on pricing now.

Postban - did you have a Cobra pinion flange, or did you sell/use it?

Can anyone recommend someone to set up a differential?

TIA

Pinion flange I had was sold, contact 03TRMN8R for another, part #

12. Cobra Pinion Flange E9TZ-4851-A (MCT source $23.80)**

Jeff Schmell set up my 4.10, he is in Vegas till next week. That joker at driveline solutions messed up my 3.90 install, chipped a spacer and had the pinion depth way off.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
so I guess the cracked supercharger belt I discovered on your ride was the least of your problems this weekend

go with the torsen....you need to uphold your status as the MCT road racing king :beer:

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
JB said:
so I guess the cracked supercharger belt I discovered on your ride was the least of your problems this weekend

..not to mention the cut tire, cut brake ducts, and the springs settled <need to crank the C/O's up>.

Going around in a circle instead of a straight line - the maintenance time is proportional to the track time. O/T requires about 20 X the maintenance....

I ordered the Torsen today, and I'm sticking with the 3.55's. So I will have a stock diff. for sale soon.

Blue03

Established Member
MidLifeC said:
Has anyone used Reider Racing for differential rebuilds?

My buddy used to work there. I have not heard anything shady about their work so I would OK.

Users who are viewing this thread