One More MGW Question

Cobrakit

Established Member
I installed a blowfish (with rubber bushings) with my barton an got tired of shifter rattle. Plus barton was notchy. Tried steeda, smoother shifting, but still shifter rattle. I have blowfish because with blower i would consistly lose 3rd gear gate. So i'm thinking of going to mgw and get rid of blowfish. Are there any notchy issues with normal driving or reverse engagement with latest version. MGW website confusing with race spec, std or x spec. Any comment on short throw option? And yes i searched first.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Cobrakit:

You're looking at what many Mustang owners feel is the best shifter for our cars. Barton has a newly designed shifter but I have not found a thread where a review of it has been posted. I have the MGW Race Spec (Gen 1) in my car and I really like it.

The Race Spec (Gen 2) is more compact and easier to install than their Gen 1 was. These shifters are very well engineered and constructed -- top quality products, imho. The shifting action is smooth and not notchy at all. You will not be disappointed.

MGW offers the X-Spec version which is a shorter throw version of the Race Spec. They have a table that summarizes the shifter throw length for the Race Spec with the standard handle (15% shorter than stock), RS with the shorter handle (19% shorter than stock), the X-Spec with standard handle (21% shorter throw than stock), and the X-Spec with the shorter handle (25% shorter than stock).

Watch the installation video of the Gen 2 Race Spec (or X-Spec) and you will see how well thought out the design is and how easy is all goes together.

MGW customer service is superb, too.

There you go. Pick up the phone and get your new MGW shifter on order! :D

HTH,

Chris

LowBoltBoy

Established Member
Cobrakit, if you are not sure what length handle you might want you can order a second length for $15 . I ordered the standard Race Spec with extra shorter length shaft. very easy to change them out. I haven't got it in the Boss yet, as I am waiting to install it along with my Mcleod RST clutch when it arrives, so can't comment on smoothness. If it anything like the one I just installed in my C6 I'm going to be absolutely delighted. Great folks to work with, and George even gave me a credit for the original MGW I had installed in the Vette years ago.

LowBoltBoy

Established Member
All that is preset now, though you can double check it before you button things up and adjust very easily. It appears about the most difficult thing now is to get the dust boot back on. You basically have the arm assembly and the compact box itself to slide together through the tunnel and that's it! Absolutely stunning craftsmanship on this unit.

Cobrakit

Established Member
Thanks! Had just heard that reverse engagement was worse than stock.

OBTW i currently have a barton shifter for sale in add section and when i get the mgw, will have a blowfish bracket for sale.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Cobrakit,

Reverse engagement is not a problem in any way. It is butter-smooth, just like the forward shifts. The shifter has a beefy spring so you have to be deliberate to push the handle down, left, and forward. But there is no notchiness or grinding whatsoever.

Git 'er done, brother!

Chris

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Cobrakit:

Update?? "Enquiring minds want to know." :D

Maybe you're spending a lot more time in the Mustang enjoying the new shifter and you don't have time to get on the board?

News brief when you have time, please. Pics, too.

Chris

Cobrakit

Established Member
Have yet to order, fighting a cat efficiency code. Trying to get dealer to do warranry.

Will be going with x spec mgw with std length so i can resuse shift knob.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Cobrakit,

Thanks for the update! Hope you get the converter issue sorted out (and, more importantly, that it is a warranty item). No fun being forced to eat catfood for a few months to keep the air clean!

Chris

Cobrakit

Established Member
Dealer replaced converter for free even though i have a supercharger (ford kit). Just finished installing new mgw. Much, much better than steeda or battonand blowfish. My blowfish will be up for sale as well as my steeda shifter and bracket.

Way2QWK

Established Member
hey cobrakit... quick question. How is the shift throw of the xspec standard length shifter vs your old steeda shifter?
I currently have a steeda and like the throw but cant decide on which MGW version to go with that is similar. Either race spec lower or x spec standard

Cobrakit

Established Member
So the x spec/std says 2.765in throw and thats about right. Can't remember steeda, but then i didn't notice a difference after install, other than crisper shifts. Steeda advertized at 20% and xspec/std is 21%.

Way2QWK

Established Member
Ya but I dont think each company measures the reduction % the same. I went out out to the car and measured throw from 3rd to 4th and got about 3.25" which steeda says is 20%. MGW on the other hand says the xspec low has 21% reduction and is 2.765". Either way I think I will order the standard low profile.

Users who are viewing this thread