One Badass Taurus...

nik96

Established Member
BuckChoklit said:
I believe that car makes the most horsepower out of the SHO 3.0 n/a. He's making somewhere around 318 fwhp and 290ish fwtq.

Not a bad estimate at all but how do you get that figure? FWIW, the speedo is not totally accurate on the car(not that you can really see it anyway). I don't know if its under or over...

SHOspazz92

Established Member
Orions96cobra said:
the intake manifold was desinged by yamaha, not the entire engine.

Wrong! Yamaha Built the ENTIRE engine minus the accesories.

The V8 SHO However, Was made by Ford. Minus the heads, Yamaha was responsible for that.

And for a Little Naturually Asperated 3.0 V6, Thats damn impressive. You must also consider how much harder it is to get a car moving on salt as opposed to asphalt. On asphalt that car would probably run 5-6 MPH faster.

-Sam

Last edited:

nik96

Established Member
Right on. So I assume you are a forum member and/or know this guy. 318 fwp is a considerable feat. Many people have spent a lot of time and mony just trying to achieve that calculated 300 chp figure. I'm curious what he's spinning that thing to. I hear him mention 7200 in the vid but my ears hear 8000 :)

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Yeah I'm a forum member. There are a ton of rumors that, "Ford engineers have tested this engine and its good up until 12k RPM." I don't beleive that, but I do believe it's good up until close to the 8k range. Even if it isnt, balancing and strict tolerances will take care of that. I really don't have any reason not to believe this guy. If you take a look at his profile he's an older gentleman and it seems as if he's got some knowledge in engine building.

SHOspazz92

Established Member
BuckChoklit said:
Yeah I'm a forum member. There are a ton of rumors that, "Ford engineers have tested this engine and its good up until 12k RPM." I don't beleive that, but I do believe it's good up until close to the 8k range. Even if it isnt, balancing and strict tolerances will take care of that. I really don't have any reason not to believe this guy. If you take a look at his profile he's an older gentleman and it seems as if he's got some knowledge in engine building.

I ran my near stock white 92 at 8200 No problem. Members with supercharged cars have seen 9k as well.

-Sam

nik96

Established Member
I don't doubt 8-9K. Especially with a built motor, ported heads with radical cams and being destroked. It sure sounds like he's turning some rpms.

MeanMachine

Established Member
nik96 said:
False. The entire engine was designed by Yamaha with Ford specifications. The intake, heads, and shortblock are all a Yamaha design. Ford originally sent Yamaha a Vulcan 3.0 block to adapt their design to but where told the crankshaft support would not hold up the RPM that the heads and valvetrain required. Ford then gave Yamaha the go-ahead to design the whole motor.

Your statement holds more truth in regards to the 3.4 V8 in the '96-'99 SHOs. The intake and heads where designed by Yamaha while the block was based on the 2.5 Ford duratech/cosworth. Ford also designed the rotating assy. and valvetrain.

is there any sites or reading on this....would like to have it as a reference

yamahaSHO

Established Member
BuckChoklit said:
I believe that car makes the most horsepower out of the SHO 3.0 n/a. He's making somewhere around 318 fwhp and 290ish fwtq.

It's been discussed, but the car isn't making that much power. Yes, it's making some decent power, but at altitude (5,400ft), but SHO was putting down about that much power and I know mine wouldn't stop at 159mph. A destroked 3.0 doesn't have a chance of putting down 290wtq NA.

IIRC, this run was done fairly high in altitude, so 159 isn't bad. I've done some tuning on that car and I have a data log of the motor spinning almost 10k RPM.

yamahaSHO

Established Member
SHOspazz92 said:
I ran my near stock white 92 at 8200 No problem. Members with supercharged cars have seen 9k as well.

-Sam
Who's running their boosted car at 9k? That's pushing it. The most I ever saw was 7800 RPM where the torque was falling slowly, but the power was still climbing 381whp. Running a stock SHO past 7k is just for braging rights of how high you can rev the motor. It's making hardly any power at 8,200 RPM.

MeanMachine said:
is there any sites or reading on this....would like to have it as a reference

www.shotimes.com

nik96

Established Member
So what's the deal J? Are you waitning on anything to install your motor? Is is in already? I haven't heard anything about it in months... Can't wait to see it :)

yamahaSHO

Established Member
Oh... I haven't finished it. In fact, I just started working on it a couple days ago from taking about 3 months off. I installed the new fuel feed line and the rest of the "HI-PO" kit today. I'm going to do some rewiring tomorrow, but then I'm *supposed* to pick up my heads from the machine shop tomorrow. If that's the case, I'll put them on the motor tomorrow. I'll still be waiting on my cams, but hopefully I'll have them early next week.

I'll make a post when it's driving again. I just realized that my front passenger wheel bearing is shot. I'll take that in to have a new bearing pressed in tomorrow too.

I miss the car...

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
yamahaSHO said:
Oh... I haven't finished it. In fact, I just started working on it a couple days ago from taking about 3 months off. I installed the new fuel feed line and the rest of the "HI-PO" kit today. I'm going to do some rewiring tomorrow, but then I'm *supposed* to pick up my heads from the machine shop tomorrow. If that's the case, I'll put them on the motor tomorrow. I'll still be waiting on my cams, but hopefully I'll have them early next week.

I'll make a post when it's driving again. I just realized that my front passenger wheel bearing is shot. I'll take that in to have a new bearing pressed in tomorrow too.

I miss the car...

Are these new heads or the helicoiled ones?

yamahaSHO

Established Member
They are brand new heads. I sold the old heads on ebay. I found a great deal on brand new heads from Ford and couldn't pass it up. They are currently receiving +1mm oversized valves, bronze guides, stiffer valve springs, 3-angle valve cut, swirl polish, new stem seals, and studs.

I didn't get them back yet, but I worked on the interior electrical all day today. It's amazing how many things I've added over the years. I ripped just about everything out and rewired. I also added a grounding distribution block and relocated some things. A few other mods here and there, but I'm not done yet. I'm thinking about heading out to the garage right now to work on it some more.

Users who are viewing this thread