on3 vs procharger

usaf_branham

Established Member
Ok... My original plan was to procharge my '15... but I see that on3 is working on a turbo kit for the '15 mustang gt, and the price point seems to be more in line with what I am looking to spend...

I have some serious concerns though... the turbos on the on3 kit are located at the collectors (ie; rear/bottom mounted turbos). They mention the requirement of using a pump to move oil to the turbos and back to the pan (wondering if it has a turbo timer too). I am not that well versed with aftermarket turbo kits. I have heard some serious horror stories concerning the hot-side piping developing cracks and honestly I dont know how comfortable I am with turbos residing that close to the ground because I dont know how they would react to water on the road, road debris, or if I did happen to take it to an area with salt on the roads during the winter, I am not sure how well it would fair.

I have always been the type of person who doesn't cheap out on my mods... I dont buy used parts and I dislike buying sub-par equipment - mainly because I always end up having to replace stuff when I get it on the cheap. With this car, my plans are; 1 7/8 stainless works longtubes with catted merge pipes and a factory connect (I have a magnaflow catback and dont feel like chopping up the exhaust), mcleod rxt twin disc clutch, one-piece drive shaft, ford racing 1400hp half shafts, and the stage 2 procharger kit from lethal performance that includes id1000's, jms fuel pump booster, sct hand-held, and a lund tune... (and the eibach pro-kit springs & a wheel similar to the vossen vfs1 silver with 19 or 20 x 10 on all four corners (looks department)).

I have come to realize though, the amount of money I would spend on the LP Stg 2 Procharger kit with Longtubes would be comparable to a turbo kit... Hellion wants too much money for their kit with the upgrades I would want (ceramic coating and the boost controller) and it appears that I may be able to get an on3 kit with the upgrades for about the same amount of money as the LP Procharger Kit...

So... Long story short, do any of you have any experience with turbos that are mounted at the bottom / rear of the exhaust manifolds and could you give me some insight as to the pro's and con's of going with a 'rear mounted' turbo? When it comes to supercharging, I understand centri vs twin screw as I did a ton of research on it before I put a kenne bell on my '04 mustang... and I understand how turbo charging works... I had a '91 Lancia Delta HF Turbo when I was stationed in Italy... Unfortunately, I am in the learning process with turbo kits, and I dont know what the downfalls are to a rear/bottom mounted turbo vs a top mounted turbo like hellion.

I am still leaning towards the procharger because supercharging is what I understand (and it's way easier to install)... so please chime in and teach me something... Thanks.

jdcobra

Established Member
Ok... My original plan was to procharge my '15... but I see that on3 is working on a turbo kit for the '15 mustang gt, and the price point seems to be more in line with what I am looking to spend...

I have some serious concerns though... the turbos on the on3 kit are located at the collectors (ie; rear/bottom mounted turbos). They mention the requirement of using a pump to move oil to the turbos and back to the pan (wondering if it has a turbo timer too). I am not that well versed with aftermarket turbo kits. I have heard some serious horror stories concerning the hot-side piping developing cracks and honestly I dont know how comfortable I am with turbos residing that close to the ground because I dont know how they would react to water on the road, road debris, or if I did happen to take it to an area with salt on the roads during the winter, I am not sure how well it would fair.

I have always been the type of person who doesn't cheap out on my mods... I dont buy used parts and I dislike buying sub-par equipment - mainly because I always end up having to replace stuff when I get it on the cheap. With this car, my plans are; 1 7/8 stainless works longtubes with catted merge pipes and a factory connect (I have a magnaflow catback and dont feel like chopping up the exhaust), mcleod rxt twin disc clutch, one-piece drive shaft, ford racing 1400hp half shafts, and the stage 2 procharger kit from lethal performance that includes id1000's, jms fuel pump booster, sct hand-held, and a lund tune... (and the eibach pro-kit springs & a wheel similar to the vossen vfs1 silver with 19 or 20 x 10 on all four corners (looks department)).

I have come to realize though, the amount of money I would spend on the LP Stg 2 Procharger kit with Longtubes would be comparable to a turbo kit... Hellion wants too much money for their kit with the upgrades I would want (ceramic coating and the boost controller) and it appears that I may be able to get an on3 kit with the upgrades for about the same amount of money as the LP Procharger Kit...

So... Long story short, do any of you have any experience with turbos that are mounted at the bottom / rear of the exhaust manifolds and could you give me some insight as to the pro's and con's of going with a 'rear mounted' turbo? When it comes to supercharging, I understand centri vs twin screw as I did a ton of research on it before I put a kenne bell on my '04 mustang... and I understand how turbo charging works... I had a '91 Lancia Delta HF Turbo when I was stationed in Italy... Unfortunately, I am in the learning process with turbo kits, and I dont know what the downfalls are to a rear/bottom mounted turbo vs a top mounted turbo like hellion.

I am still leaning towards the procharger because supercharging is what I understand (and it's way easier to install)... so please chime in and teach me something... Thanks.

You get what you pay for. I haven't seen many failures with the twin turbo kits as I have with superchargers, especially on a stock engine. The supercharger will of course put more strain on the engine because it's pulley driven and power is instantaneous.

I guess the real question is what are your hp goals? Is it going to be daily driven or a weekend toy?

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
if you have huge hp goals and want a safer amount of room to grow go with a turbo....if you want 10lbs of fun then go witha centri and call it a day.... of course you can run a turbo at 10lbs and make even more power but i personally would only do a turbo if i wanted big power and safer power at higher boost levels. i had a ton of fun when my paxton car was at pump gas boost levels. do what you feel comfortable with and go with it.

Last edited:

Anthony K

Established Member
You get what you pay for. I haven't seen many failures with the twin turbo kits as I have with superchargers, especially on a stock engine. The supercharger will of course put more strain on the engine because it's pulley driven and power is instantaneous.

I guess the real question is what are your hp goals? Is it going to be daily driven or a weekend toy?

You haven't seen failures with twin turbo kits????? Especially on3??? Holy hell. Did you JUST TODAY get the Internet?? On3 has been plagued with cracking. And Chinese turbos? HA that's a gamble from before the kit is shipped.

Stay with hellion for a twin turbo kit and having a procharger, I can say it's badass!

jdcobra

Established Member
You haven't seen failures with twin turbo kits????? Especially on3??? Holy hell. Did you JUST TODAY get the Internet?? On3 has been plagued with cracking. And Chinese turbos? HA that's a gamble from before the kit is shipped.

Stay with hellion for a twin turbo kit and having a procharger, I can say it's badass!

That's what I was saying to go the hellion route

olaosunt

Established Member
I will be able to give you a first hand review as soon as on3 is done with my car(base car,manual 3.31 rear end)
He is done with making changes to initial design and we are just waiting for his tuner to put it on a dyno.

The Hellion install on my automatic is about done-I will be data logging next week.

I will be able to compare both systems-short and long term... at least before I sell both hopefully for a TT GT500 in a couple of years.Lol

Users who are viewing this thread