On3 Performance Turbo Kit Install

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Well, after being a die hard N/A kinda guy all these years, I have decided to take a step into the turbocharged world.

My current car is a 1998 Cobra, with a 2003 Mach 1 Longblock. I put 96-98 Cobra Intake cams in it, and with bolt-ons it was making 346rwhp, and good enough for 11.6's@118 on Drag Radials with a 1.6 sixty foot.

This car is basically a full bolt-on car, with some suspension and the other "goodies" that push it more towards the "drag car" type.

I will try and keep this thread updated as much as possible with pictures, my opinion on the kit, dyno results, track results....etc. My goal is basically to run 8 PSI, run 10's with ease, and not destroy the T45 I am currently running.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Changes:

• On3 Performance 4V Forward Facing Turbo Kit
  • ModularSpeed ported intake removed,stock intake installed
  • 30# Injectors Removed, 55# Injectors Installed
  • 90mm LMAF Removed, VMP HPX MAF Installed
  • Stock Thermostat/Housing Removed, Modified Cooling System Installed
  • 4.56 Gears Removed, 3.73 Gears Installed
  • 15x3.5 Billet Specialties/Skinnies Removed, 17" of the same wheel Installed

Initial Impressions

I got the kit a few days after ordering, and everything was there except a few fittings for the turbo/oil lines....and a fitting for the oil filter relocation. I was told that I would have them in a few days after I received the other parts....and that I did. I was contacted to ensure I received them as well.

I have had a few questions here and there about some stuff....and Chad and Mike have been very helpful along the way. They also gave me some recommendations on the install, which I appreciate very much.

Customer service up to this point, A+

The kit......... This kit, when in your hand is very nice looking. I am a VERY picky person, as the On3 gang can probably agree.... There are a few small things I see with this kit, which I feel I could probably upgrade, or "touch" up....but I don't really want to. I want to put the kit on, as it comes....and see what type of gains I get both on the dyno, the track...and the street.

I will be honest, I was very impressed initially.....by the quality of the components....but I know "time will tell" the truth. I am pretty confident I will not have any negative issues with this kit. I did NOT buy this kit to daily drive, nor to put 20,000+ miles on. I bought this kit to put on a car that sees 2,000 miles every 2 years, and stays in my garage 365 nights of the year.

If this kit performs to my expectations, I will be very pleased. And do not think for ONE MINUTE, that is there are small issues/hang ups along the way that I will complain.....as I realize I saved thousands by going this route. If I need to make a cut here, a weld there....or even re-do all the connections....I honestly do not care.

The kit came just about exactly as pictured:
On3Kit.jpg

Some Hardware
2011-07-09013301.jpg

Gettin her ready
2011-07-09013121.jpg

Tearin her apart
2011-07-09013046.jpg

2011-07-09013157.jpg

I was very impatient, installed these in a few hours after the kit arrived....so soon that I forgot to take pictures....my bad
2011-06-12203256.jpg

2011-06-12203106.jpg

2011-06-12203223.jpg

2011-06-11223730.jpg

2011-06-11223709.jpg

2011-06-11223556.jpg

Instructions tell me not to install headers before oil filter relocation....BLAH!
2011-07-09013531.jpg

2011-07-09013445.jpg

I did not use the hardware that came witht he kit for the header bolts....I used "Stage 8" Bolts as I have always had great luck with them.

I ALSO (which I may regret) decided to use the header gaskets that came with this kit....they are the cheapo type....but I want to use the kit as it is. Anyone including myself can make a kit work, or "better" than it comes....but I have a feeling that this stock motor wont last too long....so I will coat everything and use better stuff the next go around.

Here is the "GT" lower radiator hose I decided to use. I chose to get rid of the 4V style system, to create some additional clearance for the piping in that area. I am installing a Meziere Billet T-Stat housing, along with a Meziere 180deg T-Stat

2011-07-09013612.jpg

VMP HPX Maf, VMP MAF Flange, VMP Harness to adapt the 05+ slot style MAF
2011-07-12212407.jpg

Meziere Billet T-Sta housing, and T-Stat. AWESOME PART
2011-07-12212511.jpg

I will have more as I go!

sn8kbte

1999 ELECTRIC GREEN
Established Member
Nice keep us updated, I just ordered the kit on monday for my 99 cobra we will see how it goes. Should be installed with in 2 weeks.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
The build looks sweet, and you are saving tons of money! I agree that a weld or cut here and there is no biggy for the money you save.

Just one question: What do you mean by "I put 96-98 Cobra Intake cams in it"?? I thought it was a 98 Cobra? (either that or since you swapped in a mach 1 long block) Sorry just curious because I see you made some good power NA, with a damn good sixty foot and 1/4 time. Haha I think I'm more interested in the NA set up you have now, or at least until you finish the turbo install!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Im hoping this kit works out for people, I think if it does it will be my choice for a power adder.

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
The build looks sweet, and you are saving tons of money! I agree that a weld or cut here and there is no biggy for the money you save.

Just one question: What do you mean by "I put 96-98 Cobra Intake cams in it"?? I thought it was a 98 Cobra? (either that or since you swapped in a mach 1 long block) Sorry just curious because I see you made some good power NA, with a damn good sixty foot and 1/4 time. Haha I think I'm more interested in the NA set up you have now, or at least until you finish the turbo install!

It is a Mach 1 engine. All 4V exhaust cams are pretty similar in spec....but the 96-01 Cobra Intake cams are different then all the other 4V intake cams.

I gained EXACTLY 20rwhp, by switching just the intake cams in the MAch 1 engine, to the 96-98 Cobra Intake cams. MPH in the 1/4 went from 115 to 118. Yeah, the car moved! It was surely an 11.3@118ish combo on slicks. Probably closer to a 10.99 - 11.2 on a slick and better intake manifold.

Here is the vid from the last time I took it down the 1320 with DR's.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jshqmWbKtoo"]YouTube - ‪MODULAR SPEED.wmv‬‏[/nomedia]

Needless to say, I dont think this T45 will handle that styl of driving ^.....so I may be a little "easier" on it. ;)

Im hoping this kit works out for people, I think if it does it will be my choice for a power adder.

I know it will work for me. I will ensure it does...lol I feel that this kit, even if not perfect....is a great route to take. Modifying or not.

The way I feel.....I know for a FACT that people have made these kits work without hardly any modifying....so I can too.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
It is a Mach 1 engine. All 4V exhaust cams are pretty similar in spec....but the 96-01 Cobra Intake cams are different then all the other 4V intake cams.

I gained EXACTLY 20rwhp, by switching just the intake cams in the MAch 1 engine, to the 96-98 Cobra Intake cams. MPH in the 1/4 went from 115 to 118. Yeah, the car moved! It was surely an 11.3@118ish combo on slicks. Probably closer to a 10.99 - 11.2 on a slick and better intake manifold.

Here is the vid from the last time I took it down the 1320 with DR's.

YouTube - ‪MODULAR SPEED.wmv‬‏

Needless to say, I dont think this T45 will handle that styl of driving ^.....so I may be a little "easier" on it. ;) .

That's interesting, I thought they were pretty much the same but 20rwhp proves me wrong! haha. Very nice runs in that video! Wish you would have tried slicks before the turbo though. Very nice build NA thus far. And no that T45 probably won't handle much abuse with a Turbo.

goat-ee

Established Member
VERY interesting!! Sounds like your going down the path I have been threatening to do lately!! I already have a Hellion 62mm on a stock 96 Cobra longblock on one car, and am considering strongly pulling the Kenne Bell off the other Cobra with built engine, installing 03/04 C-heads, and re-installing the Hellion.(see sig)

You just became my template!! But I have to wonder why you would want to pull off the ported intake to go to a stock intake? Seems like a step back, why??

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
But I have to wonder why you would want to pull off the ported intake to go to a stock intake? Seems like a step back, why??

A typical 4V on 8-9 PSI makes 470-500 RWHP.

My 4V is not typical, as it is getting a pretty big head start, by making 346 rwhp.

I am not trying to break records, and I would like for the engine to last atleast a few weeks, as I have some grudge races with some ricers I need to take care of. :beer:

I am assuming this combo will make much more than I feel safe with, on 8 PSI.

94venomV8

Established Member
Quick question, on the pic of the rad hoses, where do you put the hose that goes up to the coolant crossover from the original stat housing? Or do you just cap that inlet off at the crossover? I gotta do this mod to free up room but am having a hard time figuring it out perfect and don't want to have cooling issues

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Quick question, on the pic of the rad hoses, where do you put the hose that goes up to the coolant crossover from the original stat housing? Or do you just cap that inlet off at the crossover? I gotta do this mod to free up room but am having a hard time figuring it out perfect and don't want to have cooling issues

I am doing one of two options....

A: Plugging it, then capping it (for looks)

B: Mr na_svt may be hooking me up with a crossover that has that port plugged, and tapped with threaded fitting for temp sensor.

You just plug/cap it. It is pretty straight forward. Just ensure you drill holes in the stat if you get rid of the bypass (lower rad hose from crossover)

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Didn't get a lot done last night. Goal was to solder on the MAF, finish up the Oil Filter Relocation, Gap/Install Plugs, and tap/install the oil drain fitting to oil pan. I started working at 10:00....and discovered my solder is missing, and my punch/tap necessary for the oil drain are missing..... I moved recently, and believe those are at my other house...

I was able to install the new NGK TR6 plugs. They were pretty much "pre-gapped" at where I wanted them, but I regapped them anyways....

2011-07-13222254.jpg

I also went ahead and cleaned the area where I will be installing the fitting for the oil drain. The hole needs to be 5/8" down from the top of the oil pan....and 1-7/8" to the right of the center of the second oil pan bolt (from left to right)

2011-07-13234246.jpg

goat-ee

Established Member
A typical 4V on 8-9 PSI makes 470-500 RWHP.

My 4V is not typical, as it is getting a pretty big head start, by making 346 rwhp.

I am not trying to break records, and I would like for the engine to last atleast a few weeks, as I have some grudge races with some ricers I need to take care of. :beer:

I am assuming this combo will make much more than I feel safe with, on 8 PSI.

I understand your not trying to make huge numbers for the sake of the stock longblock. But in my mind it would make a lot more sense to keep the ported intake and just lower the boost a little. I think it's easier on the engine to make the same hp with the least boost possible. Plus it's one less thing you have to deal with. You already know your N/A combo is spot on, so why fix what ain't broke!! :beer:

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Yes, however....I am running 8PSI. That is all there is to it.

If it makes 410 rwhp, then I may put the ported intake back on. But it will make a ton of power, without the ported intake on it.

Porting them for me is free. Selling them gets me $600+. So, I'll use a stocker for now ;)

I see your point, and agree 100% with it. But not when talking about 6, or 8 PSI. An efficient engine on 4PSI will be slower then a less efficient motor on 6/8 psi etc....assuming same peak power.

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
Yes, however....I am running 8PSI. That is all there is to it.

If it makes 410 rwhp, then I may put the ported intake back on. But it will make a ton of power, without the ported intake on it.

Porting them for me is free. Selling them gets me $600+. So, I'll use a stocker for now ;)

I see your point, and agree 100% with it. But not when talking about 6, or 8 PSI. An efficient engine on 4PSI will be slower then a less efficient motor on 6/8 psi etc....assuming same peak power.

Really not trying to be argumentative, but why not 6 or 7 psi with the ported intake? A spring change in the wastegate is way easier than an intake change!! But again, whatever floats your boat!!:beer:

Teej281

Established Member
I'm interested to see the results of this too. Which turbo did you choose to go with the kit? I know they have a lot of options.

Users who are viewing this thread