On3 kit vs home built vs S/C, non-noob questions

Stangcobra1122

Established Member
So I've done a bit of reading about turbos vs superchargers and the potential power gains available from both etc... And in my research I found the on3 kit. Now theyre selling that for $1899, for what I assume is a "tuner kit"(no electronics/injectors, etc). Now I know for me to build the same kit I need to have pipe bent, buy a turbo, wastegate, bov, intercooler, exhaust manifold and the other little shit(nuts bolts screws) that go with the kit. Now all that being said I don't know the quality of the on3 kit but I know I can build a kit with some used parts for less. So now the questions.
Will the on3 kit's higher price be worth it in terms of quality.
What will it cost on top of the on3 kit for some kind of tuner, injectors, and all the other stuff I need.
What kind of power can these internals handle safely 01 Cobra, 44k original miles on the car
Will I blow my motor with either kit, assuming a conservative street tune done by people who know what theyre doing, and all the required pieces.
And lastly, an actual noob question, for a daily driven street car is the turbo going to add more complexity to driving than a supercharger does, I ask because this car will be driven 365 days a year, from 97 degree summer days to 30 degree winter days.
Other little thing, I'm only looking to spend about $2500 on the whole kit, the less the better, will I be able to accomplish this with a turbo or will it just turn into a money pit

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sorry but I really dont see any kind of forced induction happening for 2500 bucks...MAYBE an eaton swap if you hunt damned hard for parts and get lucky on some deals..that turbo kit for 1800 doesnt look like it includes the 650 Kmember kit you need either (unless you have it and didnt tell us)

a good dyno tune is gonna run 400-500, a tuner another 150 or more, some used cobra injectors for ~100, + whatever fuel pump you go with so youve already spent 750 right there.

spray it would be the best power adder option or just keep saving....unless you can bend and weld all the pipes for a turbo kit yourself but Id imagine it wont be easy/fun with a stock k member

03bluemach

Established Member
Easy answer just find you a used procharger or vortech kit in the market !! nuff said .. with the amount you want to spend .. most run 8-9 pounds pretty safe on stock bottom end ..

Last edited:

Stangcobra1122

Established Member
Thanks for the quick replies, I meant $2500 for the kit itself, not 2500 all in.
That being said I'll just hunt around for a used kit somewhere

02blownGT

Established Member
Looking for cheap you can make a vortech setup for next to nothing.Far as a turbo goes turbos are always moneypits to setup and i dont think its worth the money unless you see an engine build in the near future to take advantage of the power potential.

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
i got my v2 sq trim intercooled set up for 2500 but then i had to get a set of used injectors and fuel pump and a boost gauge... after it was all said and done i hade 3100 into it all together.. i was thinking about going with the on3kit as well but iam glad i didnt chance it and just waited for a deal on a centrifugal set up... just be patient and youll find a deal theres one for sale in the market right now for 2500 actually... you should look into that one!

99'WhiteCobra

Established Member
i might sell my vortech v2 kit with an aftercooler.. pm me.. and i boost only 12 and see very close to 500rwhp but havent had it dyno.. trust me with this kit youll be blowing 03/04 cobras... let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread