On3 Fuel Hat - worth it?

justinsstang

Established Member
I tried to ask about the hat on another post but the thread has seemingly died.

Here's the hat: http://www.on3performance.com/shop/2011-2014-cnc-billet-mustang-gt-5-0-4v-fuel-hat/

It looks like a quality piece. The only thing I don't like is that it only supports the "320 series" pumps, which I'm assuming means you can't go any bigger than a 320lph pump, although it does support up to 3 pumps, or you can run two pumps and use their block off instead of using a 3rd pump.

On the ad it says it can be used as either return OR returnless. That being said, our 5.0s have a 400lph (I think) single pump from the factory. Would it not be cost efficient to stay returnless and run this hat with a second pump? With two 320lph pumps and the stock feed surely it would be capable of handling most stock motor boosted E85 setups with it having a total 640lph available (240lph more than stock).

This is all assuming that the hat works with the stock feed line, which it may not... if it doesn't it wouldn't be worth it - could just as easily go return at that point while you're swapping the feed line.

I've never dealt with fuel systems before other than swapping injectors and adding a boost-a-pump, so any input from someone with experience with this sort of thing would be appreciated. Just looking for cost-effective alternatives to the current kits out there.

Thanks for reading.

justinsstang

Established Member
I emailed Lund to see if he could tune for it and tried to call Chad @ on3 to see if it will attach to the stock fuel feed lines. It was after hours so no responses yet.

Where is all the gurus at...

cb900f

Established Member
Several fast cars running that hat on FB. Sai Li is running that hat with 3 x 465 pumps in it. If it can be setup in returnless, it would seem like you could hook it to the stock rails. CPR did a write up on his sub 800 fuel system on how to do that.

justinsstang

Established Member
CPR was talking about using a modified GT500 hat which Sai Li sells. Not enough info was provided for me to do that kit myself unfortunately, coming from someone who doesn't know much about messing with the fuel side. I would need part numbers and pics to show what to buy/modify/wire. This on3 hat seems like it could be a cheap alternative though... Lund confirmed he would try to tune it as returnless for me if I can get it to work. Said he doesn't like aem 320lph pumps though.

Users who are viewing this thread