On-vehicle valve spring install?

DSM Storm

Established Member
In a few months im going to be installing a crower stage 3 high lift camset as well as a set of springs and Ti retainers. I just recieved my valve spring compressor tool (for ford modulars) from OTC this week. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers for doing this with heads still on the truck?

The cam swap itself doesnt bother me, what worries me is if I drop a valve. I really dont feel like yanking the heads on this tub. Ill do what I have to do, but im hoping to bring the truck to the shop and have this done in a weekend.

I hear people are feeding compressed air into the cylinder to keep the valve up. Im curious how this is working for ya? and how much pressure did you use?

Thanks,
Storm

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
DSM Storm said:
In a few months im going to be installing a crower stage 3 high lift camset as well as a set of springs and Ti retainers. I just recieved my valve spring compressor tool (for ford modulars) from OTC this week. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers for doing this with heads still on the truck?

The cam swap itself doesnt bother me, what worries me is if I drop a valve. I really dont feel like yanking the heads on this tub. Ill do what I have to do, but im hoping to bring the truck to the shop and have this done in a weekend.

I hear people are feeding compressed air into the cylinder to keep the valve up. Im curious how this is working for ya? and how much pressure did you use?

Thanks,
Storm
doesnt seem likes it going to be a fun job to do. the spark plugs alone are a real exciting adventure, so getting even farther back into the motor, you might wanna pack a sack lunch.

askiles

I can't stop MODDING!!!
Established Member
I am not sure what pressure, but you pump compressed air in through the spark plug hole by screwing the air fitting in to it. Then you keep it there, compress your valve (that tool works wonders), remove the keeper and retainer, pull off the old spring, put the new one on, put the retainer and keeper back on, and there you have it. Well, then you repeat 15 more times...

-Andy

DSM Storm

Established Member
Plug swap on these trucks are easy, just time consuming. Ive done more than I care to remember. Ive never touched the valvetrain on the 2v motors, but I have yanked the heads on the 4v 4.6. I know its not going to be fun. Im just worried that the pressure itself will turn the crankshaft. I might use my lower pulley strap to lock the crank in place.

EZ SPEED

Boost Kills !!!!!!!
Established Member
Swapping valve springs with the motor in the truck is a pain in ass, but I have done it before.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
I'd recommend that you turn the crank so that the pistons are at TDC for each cylinder as you pull the valve springs per cylinder. This way if a valve does fall it won't go all the way down into the combustion chamber and you can still grab onto the valve head and pull it back up. I've seen where a valve gets bumped during the repair and it drops down into the block.

I use a cylinder leak down tester to fill the cylinder with air and at about 100 PSI.

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
Be prepared, putting the keepers on....well lets just say they are NOOOOOOT easy if you are doing this with the motor still in the truck. Been there, done that, dont EVER want to do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread