? on PA traffic code.

GNGREN

Established Member
I have a question for any LEO in the Keystone state or any other for that matter. Recently I got purchased a Jeep Wrangler. And I am trying to figure out if I can get a ticket for having the doors off even with having all the mirrors on the Jeep (both sides & rear view) I found this info but I would like some insite as to how you would interpret it. Here is a link to the specific article: PA vehicle code and here is what it says:

§ 175.77. Body.
(a) Condition of body. All items on the body shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Fenders. The wheels of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with fenders of a type used as original equipment. A tire may not come in contact with the body, fenders or chassis of the vehicle.

(c) Hood and hood latches. The entire motor compartment of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be covered by a hood. The hood shall be equipped with a double latch system to hold it in the closed position if the hood was originally so equipped.

(d) Protruding objects. There may be no torn metal, glass or other loose or dislocated parts protruding from the body of the vehicle.

(e) Fender flares. A vehicle may be equipped with fender flares not to exceed 3 inches.

(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

I am specificaly looking at the bold underline statement. Could you please give me a proffesional opinion on this. The way I see it, a Jeep is manufactured with no roof or sides as the sides are part of either a Hard removable top or a fold down soft top either way the vehicle was designed to be able to take the doors off and can be optioned with different types.

And incase you might think I am asking to fight a ticket I am not. I just want to be prepared incase I get pulled over with them off. I was planning on keeping a print-out of this code article with me in case the situation would arise. And I would know where it is at if I need to goto court.

jshen

Established Member
My .02

I have not checked you're state's codes or appellate cases but first impression is that you're OK. Jeep was made for those items to be removed...In GA it isn't a problem at all.

GNGREN

Established Member
I am just wondering if it would piss an officer off if I carried a copy of this article in the vehicle and showed it to them if they tried to give me a citation for it? Or just bring the article up in talking with him and take it to court and have the judge deal with it. Although I guess it is a muot point seeing as it hasn't happend to me yet. I just know of a few fellas that have been pulled over for it in Hanover which I drive to all the time......

So any thoughts from any PA LEO's?

Last edited:

ThrashN

Do What?
Established Member
When I lived in PA I had a jeep and would always take the doors off and never had an issue. I also drove in MD and VA no problem in either state.
I think you'll be ok. Just make sure you always wear your seatbelt (don't want to fly out).

Groovyash

Established Member
Sorry, I haven't been around for a few days.

It's never actually even occured to me to write a citation for a jeep with no doors, as you eluded to a Wrangler is not equipped with a roof (aftermarket hard tops really wouldn't apply) and therefore would reasonably be considered an exception, as I would imagine that is in fact what the statute was written to cover...I cannot think of anything else it would cover in fact. As a rule of thumb with any vehicle related law in PA, if it's factory, it's probably legal, and conversly if it's not it's technically illegal. If it were to ever come up, I'd be interested in hearing what a magistrate interprets the law as.

Dan

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
You'll get pulled over eventually. Not so say you would get a citation, but from experience I guarantee it will happen in that God-forsaken outhouse of a Commonwealth. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread