? on emission readiness and egr

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I had a problem passing Illinois emissions due to the rear O2s being off in my previous tune. Jon Lund fixed me up with an "emissions" tune and the car runs good. Gradually all the "not ready" systems have come back online (O2, HTR, Cat efficiency). I've been checking it with a Innova 3130 scanner. But, after 200 miles of driving various styles, the EGR is still holding things up. The ford "drive cycle" says to accelerate from 0-45 at 1/2-3/4 throttle three times and you should be good to go. No luck yet. BTW, trying to go 0-45 at 1/2 throttle is tricky at best with the temps in the 50s (massive wheelspin) LOL.

Since EGR was not a problem before loading this "emissions" tune, I think it is unlikely the system has any faults. In two weeks my plates expire, so I am understandably impatient.

Any ideas? Just keep driving? Any chance this is in the tune? I have read it is one of the first indicators to clear. Temperature related? It has been in the low fifties here and with the Revan HE my temp gauge is always a little low, compared to stock.

Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Most states will allow for at most 1 to 2 systems "not ready". So u may still be able to pass with just the egr not ready. Worth a google or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andymarkv

Established Member
Hmmm.... Thats weird? I drove my car less than 10 miles after flashing the Lund emissions ready tune and it passed no problem?

I assume your test is similar to what we have here in NY?

I'm not sure if the EGR would fail you or not?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
unlikely, but did you check with Lund to see that the EGR is enabled in the tune?

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Yeah, Jon just got back to me and said it is not in the tune. All emissions related functions are "on" and "Nothing EGR is even altered in the tune".

I had heard some states will pass you with one "not ready", I will google that for Illinois.

It struck me as odd it was taking so long, but it was fine before, so...

I will put another 75 miles on it today and see if it clears. I thought maybe this had come up before. Thanks for the replies!:beer:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
FYI: car passed emissions testing with EGR "not ready" in Illinois. Lund "emissions tune" worked fine. But, EGR readiness did not come online after 250 miles! Thanks to everyone for the advice.

overtime

Established Member
Has anyone had any problems with their 500 passing the emissions test with the Leathal catted x-pipe installed.

I keep getting three monitors as "Not Completed"

Thanks for any suggestions.

OT

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
"not completed" or "not ready"

first guess is the rear 02s are off

overtime

Established Member
"not completed" or "not ready"

first guess is the rear 02s are off

It stated "Not Completed" on the inspection form

I have a VMP dyno tune and had ask that O2's be left on. I have an e-mail into BJ so he can investigate for me.

Thanks

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
did you put update the tune or have a dead battery just before you went for inspection?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
hmm, that should have been enough miles to reset all the monitors, I'd for the heck of it do the driving cycle and check the readiness again if it were me (if BJ comes back and says the O2s are on)

overtime

Established Member
You are correct. Same for Missouri. VMP had turned my o2's off. I loaded the new tune on Wednesday. Going to put it through the drive cycle early Saturday morning, then have it re-checked on Monday.
Justin stated that the aftermarket cats may not allow the o2's to become ready as the cats are not as efficient as the OEM ones.

Anyone else had problems passing the emissions with aftermarket Hi-Flow cats?

OT

overtime

Established Member
Just thought I would give an update, just in case someone else has the Lethal Hi-flow catted x-pipe installed and requires emissions testing.

After loading the new tune from VMP - turning on my O2 sensors - I put the car through the Ford drive cycle.

Justin mentioned that the aftermarket cats are not as efficient as the OEM ones, so the car may still not pass.

However, I had the car re-tested today, all monitors had registered and it passed the testing.

Now I have got one day to get those renewal stickers - close call.

OT

bull3441

Established Member
Just thought I would give an update, just in case someone else has the Lethal Hi-flow catted x-pipe installed and requires emissions testing.

After loading the new tune from VMP - turning on my O2 sensors - I put the car through the Ford drive cycle.

Justin mentioned that the aftermarket cats are not as efficient as the OEM ones, so the car may still not pass.

However, I had the car re-tested today, all monitors had registered and it passed the testing.

Now I have got one day to get those renewal stickers - close call.

OT
Just use O2 bung extenders on. I haven't ran a catted car in over 10 years and have never failed an inspection using the extenders.

overtime

Established Member
I've never heard of the bung extenders. I'll have to check them out, because I have a set of headers waiting to be installed.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread