On board camera suggestions?

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
First off this is not a GoPro or mounting location thread.

In the last week I've almost totaled my car numerous times from actions of other drivers, whether it be changed lanes into, pulled out in front of, swerved into, cell phone drivers, etc. I'm starting to get frustrated, and pissed off cause it seems to happen every time I take my car out and I feel I have PTSD now!

My question is do any of you have any knowledge on on board cameras to record events. Such as the good ole Russia cams from YouTube. I'm looking for...

-Turns on when engine is started
-Records for a long time, for extended trips
-Repeatable recording, meaning it deletes old stuff while it records so I don't have to switch memory every week.
-Night recording with reasonable visibility.
-Able to DL to a PC or iPad.

Thanks gents. :beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
An "on-board camera" in a Terminator?

That can be a double edge sword. Maintain your defensive driving.

Sethsual

Established Member
An "on-board camera" in a Terminator?

That can be a double edge sword. Maintain your defensive driving.
Not sure of the logic behind this. Defensive driving can only get you so far. An actual recording of the events that transpired could save you loads of time and money in a worst-case scenario. It isn't as if he would have to show all of the video, and no one could simply take the memory card from him. It would be easy to edit the video, cropping out all unnecessary portions before the incident.

As far as the OP's actual question, I've got no insight to add. :)

SlowSVT

Established Member
Not sure of the logic behind this. Defensive driving can only get you so far. An actual recording of the events that transpired could save you loads of time and money in a worst-case scenario. It isn't as if he would have to show all of the video, and no one could simply take the memory card from him. It would be easy to edit the video, cropping out all unnecessary portions before the incident.

As far as the OP's actual question, I've got no insight to add. :)

A video camera in a modded Terminator recording your every move. For a law enforcement officer or plaintiff attorneys you couldn't ask for a better witness.

440sprint

Established Member
I have a cell phone mount (with integrated iPhone charging cable) plugged into the center-dash 12v outlet, into which I place my cell either vertically or horizontally & turn it on camera. Onto my iPhone's camera-corner, I also attach a wide angle lens that picks up fender-to-fender video on the phone's screen. I have a few good videos, but have not learned how to share pics or videos!

When I need GPS or any other smart phone function, it's all now at the right front of my face, so I can switch the phone easily for any other function! Great set-up!

Sethsual

Established Member
A video camera in a modded Terminator recording your every move. For a law enforcement officer or plaintiff attorneys you couldn't ask for a better witness.
Police can't just go around confiscating everyone's personal property. It all depends on if they have a warrant, or if there's some exigent circumatances where they can't get a warrant. If you're arrested, the camera could be seized and its contents scrutinized. The legality of their viewing the content without a warrant in this scenario is still unsettled, though.

Anyways, the whole point of this thread would be for the OP's defense. IE, some asshat pulls out in front of him and the OP rear-ends him. In that case, you're correct - One could not ask for a better witness!

Users who are viewing this thread