Older cars around $10k that dont depreciate

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
Hey folks, lets say you had $10k cash that you wanted to spend on an older toy? Basically, something that isnt going to depreciate like crazy and you could sell for what you bought it for or close to it? What are some cars you would look at?

do fox bodies depreciate much? specifically notchbacks?

86-89 vettes?
late 50's austin healy sprite?

let me hear your thoughts. im looking at anything fun to drive. MUST have manual transmission. trucks, coupes, sedans, whatever.

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Hey folks, lets say you had $10k cash that you wanted to spend on an older toy? Basically, something that isnt going to depreciate like crazy and you could sell for what you bought it for or close to it? What are some cars you would look at?

do fox bodies depreciate much? specifically notchbacks?

86-89 vettes?
late 50's austin healy sprite?

let me hear your thoughts. im looking at anything fun to drive. MUST have manual transmission. trucks, coupes, sedans, whatever.

Look at the prices of used Jeep Wranglers. They seem to never lose their value. I thought of getting one to drive to work in the snow and sell in the spring for the same price as what I paid for it. Just can't justify the gas mileage on a 100 mile commute.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
86-89 vettes go for 10K?... I think you're being very generous. But if you wanted a decent toy for a budget, I'd pick one of those up for about half that, and pocket the rest.

Mycobrahatesyou

Established Member
Bought my 1998 cobra for 10k. Sold 3 years later for 9,800.

Bought my 2004 GTO for 10,400. Sold a year later for 10,600.

Just a couple ideas.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
You need to be a little more specific about what kind of toy you want. Jeeps hold their value, but watch out for northern tier ones as the frames get rotted. Clean older Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes will hold their own, but watch out for rust. Just look at a toy as a toy, and figure the purchase price as the entry fee. If you were big into travel, you wouldn't expect to recoup your travel expenses, have fun with your toy until you kill it, and then move on.

john11gt

Established Member
+1 more vote for a Jeep. I bought a cherokee to keep the miles off the mustang and after lifting it and putting bigger tires on it, I now find myself looking for another truck to DD and to tow the mustang and jeep to the track and off road park.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Buick Grand National
GMC Syclone

However, auto trans only, but these will hold their value.

Last edited:

Blackoyote

Established Member
I think the ship has sailed on the Grand Nationals. Anything for 10k now is going to be a project.

Regal T-Type and paint it black - problem solved! :)

But a clean fox coupe will definitely be a safe purchase. The $8-10K realm cars I'm pretty sure will stay priced like that for quite some time.

Voltwings

Established Member
Having spent more time around Miatas now that i'm racing one, that is a car that holds its value. Seriously, i bought a 2001 and there were several cars, both (much) older and newer not far off that price. You can buy a nice one for $6-8k and they just seem to always be worth about that much haha, even the more extreme ones only fall off to about $4k or so.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
^ Yeah Miata's stay in their respective prices ranges well. The only exception are exceptional NA's or demolished NB's

VegasMichael

Established Member
I might go 74-82 Vette. You can pick one up for well under 10k. I'm actually contemplating that now. I'd definitely put a better motor in it though since those in that era were wheezeboxes.

Users who are viewing this thread