Old style cooling mod vs newer ones

rider4life350

Established Member
I currently have my car half way torn apart. I've noticed I have what I believe is an old style cooling head mod that bolts in from the back side of the head and has a blue tube going between the two heads. My question is are the newer ones better than what I have or is this one good? I'll post a pic of it later but I'm sure most of you guys already know what I'm talking about.

oldmodman

Established Member
No.
The main reason for the newer cooling kits is that the factory part everyone was buying and modding is no longer available. Plus the very latest one is a nicer fit.
I would have to say that if your kit does not leak just leave it alone. If you do remove it to have head work done you should probably replace the "O" rings when you reinstall it.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Not trying to jack OPs thread but iam fairly new to the 03-04 cobra I was told my car has the cooling mod, I have a very small coolant leak I just noticed in my garage maybe two drops coming from back side of engine, anyone have a pic of where these lines hook up?

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
This is what the OP has I believe

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399263577.977915.jpg

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Wow! that is a real tight area, not much room to work. My car just got a new clutch installed a few weeks ago It might have been damaged when they did the install. I smelled coolant while driving back but couldn't find a leak? The car has been sitting for a week and I noticed a small drop of coolant yesterday, lifted the car and found a small trickle on the back side of the engine where it mates to the tranny. thanks for the pic.

cj428mach

Established Member
Not trying to jack OPs thread but iam fairly new to the 03-04 cobra I was told my car has the cooling mod, I have a very small coolant leak I just noticed in my garage maybe two drops coming from back side of engine, anyone have a pic of where these lines hook up?

You could have a leak coming from the water pump tube in the valley. When leaks form in the valley the liquid can run to the rear of the block and out a little hole that's cast in the block. My old cobra blew the pcv hose and the oil that formed in the valley ran out the hole cast in the rear of the block making the leak look as though it was the rear main/oil pan.

If you have that cooling mod then I'd just leave it. Personally I don't like that design because I know my luck it would begin to leak and I'd have to pull my transmission to fix it. I'd much rather have something I can get to out in the open.

Users who are viewing this thread