Old School Engine Sound??

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Just curruios if anyone here knows how the internals of our engines work for mods. The reason I ask is this... is there any way to make our cars sound like the old school big blocks? example... like the old 60's and 70's big block sounds?? I just love the idle sounds of the classics with that "lug lug lug lug noise."

Is it possible to make a 4.6 mod engine have that type of sound or is that gone from new engines for performance reasons? Just currious if anyone else has been able to get that sound out of them?? If not, could someone explain the differences in how the engines work as to why they sound different...?

Thanks in advance!:beer:

Last edited:

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
High duration cam(s).

You wouldn't want to do that in a SC setup though. It would, however, be awesome in a Mach 1 you planned to keep NA.

03Bra

Established Member
Well said, exactly right, Get a bigger cam for the lope sound, but lose performance with sc.

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Ok, that answers that then... I LOVE that sound of the old idle muscle cars, but not at the extent of loosing performance of the SC... I would sell the cobra and buy a mach 1 before I would do that... ;-)

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Dude... I am IN LOVE with that car... THAT is the sound I am talking about... you said that they make something like that for our 03's that wouldn't hurt performance?? (are their any that would actually help performance?)

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
crap dude, I just listen to that 3 times.. and im'ed my wife at home and told her to save it to the pc for me!!... I LOVE that sound... thats always been the huge difference btwn the muscle cars and the "new age cars" is the sounds they make... thats impressive... ;-)

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
Originally posted by Nuclrslug
High duration cam(s).

You wouldn't want to do that in a SC setup though. It would, however, be awesome in a Mach 1 you planned to keep NA.

Actually all of the Blower cams that I have heard for Modular engines are much more lopey sounding and agressive than the N/A designed cams. And they offer great power as well, some of the 2V guys were getting upwards of 35hp with the blower cams on a blown application.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Thanks man! I believe JDM has cams for eaton/kb cobras. There are a ton of companies that make "blower" cams for the modular motors. As far as the 03s only one i know of is JDM right now.

Everywhere i went with that car, nobody believed me that it was a 4.6. They thought it couldnt sound like that hehe.

Dave

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Is it possible for me to just upgrade the cams in my motor for the performance/sound?? (forgive me if I am dense with the 03 cobra motor, I am used to working on my jeep (previous car) and never really delt with internal stuff as much (more accessories on the engine and LOTS of drive train/steering work)...

Are the cams right under the valve covers? and can they be swaped out with the motor in the car, or could someone break down whats involved with the removal/replacement of cams, and can I replace just the cams or do the valves then get replaced as well?

Thanks again, I love learning about this kind of stuff!!

mystangs

572/677 Hehe
Established Member
James, we can do them in my garage. I am thinking about doing mine in the next few weeks. If you want you can come over and observe. Remember to bring your own beer!

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Chris.. thats awesome man.. I will call you after work, I want to discuss how the install works, and how much $ we are talking.. I really might do that if it will sound anything like his did!!!

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
see what you did now dave, you got people hooked on your old whip! that was a nice car though, loud asss shit! and if you think its loud in that video, its even louder in person. and wonder what you woulda done to that car if north haven cops werent such pricks?

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced46
Thanks man! I believe JDM has cams for eaton/kb cobras. There are a ton of companies that make "blower" cams for the modular motors. As far as the 03s only one i know of is JDM right now.

Everywhere i went with that car, nobody believed me that it was a 4.6. They thought it couldnt sound like that hehe.

Dave

JDM's cams are made by Crower, but have JDM grind specs. JDM has not released the specs to the public.

Car sounds badass :rockon:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I am not certain on the JDM cam specs. But i have heard of a few people running them. As far as cost it isnt cheap. Cams are probably going to run you over $1000, most cams usually require aftermarket valve springs. The cams in my GT were SHM cams. As far as the install, its not all that fun on a DOHC car. you can get at the cams by removing the valve covers. HOWEVER. The front cover has to be removed as well to get at the timing chains. So pretty much everything on the front of the motor would have to be removed.

I do know that AFM makes a cam tool that enables you to swap out cams by only having to take the valve covers off. It holds the cam gear in place, assuming you have a bolt on sprocket cam. I know this works on 2V GTs, not sure about 4V Cobras however

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
I agree that the 03 Cobra could use a more agressive cam but it's real easy to "overcam" a blown engine. If you were running WOT at redline then by all means, go for it. If you want to have streetable torque you don't want a bunch of overlap or you'll push your mix past the exhaust valve before it closes.
In my experience doing "streetable" Roots blown Chevy big blocks, a good tow truck cam is probably best all around (IMHO).

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
so thats crower making them (and rpmoutlet selling them) or SHM (seems to be the best price, 600 bucks) or JDM (insanely high 1800 price...)??

Any others to consider?

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
what kind of cam is best for a '66 that will gie you that sound and better performance??.....badass car BTW :bowdown: ....im jealous:rockon:

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
has anyone acutally done a 4v cam swap on this board, or done a similar one, that would mind explaining the steps/procedure so that I could have a better understanding of what I would be trying to replace if I decide to do this myself?? (Picts would be killer!!)

Users who are viewing this thread