old gear question

Nineonesix

Established Member
Is there a real huge difference between the 3.90s and 4.10's. Everyone keeps telling me 4.10s are way to much. Everyone on the forums is telling me that they are just fine.

So ive been told 3.73 are not really worth the swap from 3.55 and if everyone is telling me 4.10s are too much I figure 3.90 is inbetween right?

This could serious be a possibly thanks to my good/bad luck with the car. less then $200 dollars for a gear swap so its too good to pass by right now (if it happens).

Just wanted to get some opinions.

281CJ

Established Member
4.10 is a MINIMUM, many feel that even a 4.30 is required for these cars. Anyone that says 3.90 is either thinking of a Supercharged Cobra, or a push rod motor.

I myself have 4.10's and drive the car every day, city and highway. I wouldn't go any lower then a 4.10 if you want gears.

BTW: I went 13.4@106 on street tires and chrome 18's my first time at the track on the car. Only mods were the 4.10 and the chrome wheels. and that was with a 2.0 60ft, with spare and jack in trunk and 1/2 tank.

My point is, 4.10Gear alone will get you a high 12 with good driving.

Last edited:

Nineonesix

Established Member
4.10 is a MINIMUM, many feel that even a 4.30 is required for these cars. Anyone that says 3.90 is either thinking of a Supercharged Cobra, or a push rod motor.

I myself have 4.10's and drive the car every day, city and highway. I wouldn't go any lower then a 4.10 if you want gears.

BTW: I went 13.4@106 on street tires and chrome 18's my first time at the track on the car. Only mods were the 4.10 and the chrome wheels. and that was with a 2.0 60ft, with spare and jack in trunk and 1/2 tank.

My point is, 4.10Gear alone will get you a high 12 with good driving.

Well it is an auto so if that has anything to do with it.

Basically my question is that if I had 3.90s and wanted to go 4.10s would it be worth it?

Shackleford

Established Member
Well it is an auto so if that has anything to do with it.

Basically my question is that if I had 3.90s and wanted to go 4.10s would it be worth it?
IMO, no that's really almost no change.

If you're thinking of going from 3.55 to 3.90 you might as well go with 4.10s.

Last edited:

Nineonesix

Established Member
Then if your going to 4.10's ya mays well go for the 4.30's!

Then if you're going to 4.30's might as well go to 4.56's am I right?

Im thinking 3.90s, because if I had 3.90s and wanted to go to 4.10s I wouldnt be gaining much, so in reality I wont be losing much.

according to this gear calculator, PaladinMicro

74.3mph at 2500 with 3.90s
70.6mph at 2500 with 4.10s

its just alittle comfort because if in actuallity 4.10s are too much I wont have the money to go down any lower...and its really undecided about my highway mileage right now.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Two things:

1) [ame=http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35047]4.30's or 4.10 - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club[/ame]

2) I would not get a gear change done if they are charging you 'cheap'. Gears are not something you want to skimp on. I couldnt' tell you how many times I've heard....I GOT A GREAT DEAL ON IT....then shortly after: My rear end is squeeling like crazy and the shop says it's not them. Find a shop that has a great rep on doing gear swaps. There are A LOT of people out there that 'know how to do it all' if $$$ is tossed in their face. How many 'questionable tuners' are 'good tuners'?

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
go 4.30 you wont regret it, best money for the haul ass you can do, actully if you want some i have some and the install kit id probably let go for a good price,

Nineonesix

Established Member
Two things:

1) 4.30's or 4.10 - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2) I would not get a gear change done if they are charging you 'cheap'. Gears are not something you want to skimp on. I couldnt' tell you how many times I've heard....I GOT A GREAT DEAL ON IT....then shortly after: My rear end is squeeling like crazy and the shop says it's not them. Find a shop that has a great rep on doing gear swaps. There are A LOT of people out there that 'know how to do it all' if $$$ is tossed in their face. How many 'questionable tuners' are 'good tuners'?

I dont think I said it, but im having the ford dealership change em. My ring a pinon right now has been seizing (so they claim) so they have a claim open with my gmac warranty. Itll be like $1400 bucks, but I was talking to the girl and she said ill just have to pay the difference between the 3.55 and 3.90/4.10. Since its the same exact install.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I dont think I said it, but im having the ford dealership change em. My ring a pinon right now has been seizing (so they claim) so they have a claim open with my gmac warranty. Itll be like $1400 bucks, but I was talking to the girl and she said ill just have to pay the difference between the 3.55 and 3.90/4.10. Since its the same exact install.
GOTCHA....COol deal man. I'd capitalize on that too.:beer:

I'm no auto expert, but if you plan on staying N/A, I'd go with 3.90s and a stall.
4.10s aren't enough, I have 4.30s and sometimes I want more. Don't fear the gear!
YOu have an A4 Auto?

Nineonesix

Established Member
GOTCHA....COol deal man. I'd capitalize on that too.:beer:

I'm no auto expert, but if you plan on staying N/A, I'd go with 3.90s and a stall.

YOu have an A4 Auto?

Well I would like a s/c down in the future. I still think im gonna go with the 3.90s though.

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
4.10s FTMFW i wish i would have done them a lot sooner than i did. turns these cars into a different thing

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
even more so if you have an auto. 4.10s in my car would be like 4.30s in yours. but you said you didnt want 4.30s so i suggested the highest gear you wanted didnt think i had to spell it for ya

Users who are viewing this thread