okay lets get technical

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Now I read everything about the 03 I can get my hands on, and I read the autoweek article that says that speed is electronically controlled to max out at 155mph.

Now GM pulled this same crap on my Grand Prix GTP (of course there it was 123mph).

So hopefully Ford (being much cooler than GM) has built this so be easily fixed...

Have they done this in the past and how do we traditionally fix this.

I am hoping to do some SCCA events with my Cobra vert but still pass emissions and be able to simply convert back if needed...

PLEASE someone tell me not to worry...

I did see thanks to a post link to a very cool web site, chips with valet settings for mustangs and the promise of cobra stuff comming soon.

Duane.

:-?

TcM-668

Just my $ .02 worth...

Part of the problem might be the fact that the front fascia is not really supported underneath. On the '00 Rs, there have been cases of the front fascia coming loose, and in a few cases, folding back and/or ripping off. Most of this is on the track, where you can sustain very high speeds for longer lengths of time.

Given that the earlier cars would not really run up to 150+mph and stay there for a while, this problem was not real prevalent.

On my '00 R, I can get to 160mph in about 1 1/2 miles, and while the car feels stable, there is a fair amount of cowl shake at those speeds. I'll run up there in bursts, but won't stay there for any real length of time (never mind considering road/traffic conditions).

If you troll around in the R forum, you'll find a work-up for a front fascia fix that will corrrect this problem, and let you run as hard as you dare. There will likely be suspension issues too, so you might want to start reading up on IRS issues as well.

The other part may be the lawyers...Where in the US can you legally run up to 150mph and not get in trouble...there is only a few states I know of, so it should not be of great concern. 155 mph is pretty fast...besides, they would not want you to be able to outrun the Rs, lest your car deflate the "intrinsic" value of the Rs. :ud:

Good luck with the new Cobra...and see ya on the track...

Don ...
'00 R # 152
'93 GT Conv
'93 LX Coupe
'92 Honda Accord EX Wagon
'89 Isuzu Imark Hatch Sunsport

TcM-668

The Honda was my first new car I purchased, and it has over 250,000 miles on it, and has never stranded me anywhere, and I have spent less than $ 3000 in mainenance on in since I have had it.

It has routinely run up to 130mph on long distance trips and never given any trouble, which is very respectable for a little 2.2L 4 cyl. (Of course it takes a while to get there...heheheheh)

It seems like I work on the Mustangs more than anything else though...my GT has been apart since Sept last year, and is only now close to completion...my LX has all kinds of little issues ...and the R is getting a full Kenny Brown IRS re-work with a Torsen T-2R Diff, 4.10s, new hardened axles, etc.

Oh yeah, the Honda gets pretty good mileage too.

See ya on the Track... :beer:

Don...
'00 R # 152
'93 GT Conv
'93 LX Coupe
'92 Honda Accord EX Wagon
'89 Isuzu Imark Hatch Sunsport

kwiksnake

Established Member
If you read Colletti's words about the new realease he said they needed to do this because it became unstable over 160 mph. It doesn't have the aerodynamics to keep it on the road above that speed, but you can easily remove the top speed limiter with either a chip or a power programmer.

svtduck

Established Member
When you are doing your bonzai runs, let me caution you about one incident I had. I was doing about 135, nice straight road, no wind, feeling great. However, in the other lane coming towards me was an 18 wheeler. When my Cobra hit the turbulance that he created, my car was sucked up. The hood bulged, the supension went right to the top and the car went airborne. My heart rate hit 180 (at least). Fortunately, I was still facing the right direction and managed to maintain control(both of the car and my bladder).

So slow it down when you are approaching any big rigs.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Wow man your wacco!

You need to join a club and run your car at a local track.

Don't you know that's insane on a public road. I am a marathon runner and run on public roads about 50 miles a week, not to mention all my running friends, triatheletes on bikes, kids, dogs, (amish a little further north of here), farm equipment, etc, etc, etc.

Not to bitch you out but seriously, JOIN A CLUB....

I am in the Porsche Club of America for running my 914-6 GT and race only on tracks...

As for my GTP, its too slow for racing in my opinion but has enough power to pass other cars and cruise a comfortable 80mph on the highway...

I said before, I am joining the SCCA to be able to have places to run the new Cobra.

You should consider the saftey of others if not your own.

:nono:

svtduck

Established Member
I'm sorry you don't have any access to open roads that do not have any of those hazards. In Nevada you can go 200 miles and not see a farm house, pass another car or see a jackrabbit. I'm sorry if you don't have access to these roads, but the only person who was at risk was me. Besides, I only do this once every great while, certainly not on my daily commute.

Users who are viewing this thread