ok.. what the heck did i do now?

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
ok.. what the heck did i do now?
... so i changed my spark plugs today.. went with autolites gapped at 54.. and then changed the fuel filter. started the car and it would not start for a couple of secs..
then started and it sounded funny.. went to check for leaks and there were no leaks.. but my exhuast sounded like a popcorn machine..
Got back in the car and my check engine light was blinking.
I turned it off..
started the car again and the check engine light was on.. but it sounded better...
what could it be?
I just unplugged the battery.. i just want to know what you guys think it might be, before i drive the car to the gas station..
thanks.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
you mean.. the wiring order? i just checked it and it looks ok..
I connected the battery and the light has not come on... i guess i'm gonna take it to the gas station and we'll see what happens...
I tried, autolite 764s gapped at 52-54.. that should be ok, right?

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Stampede is right, if you dont do new wires at the same time its possible to pull the connection off the end of the wire and it wont make good contact on the plug. I did that the first time I ever did a tune up on a mustang. It was my buddies GT and it took us like 2 days to realize what had happened. Bought new wires and it was all good after that.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
well.. just came back.. the engine light did not come back on... i turned off the car about 4 times during my 15 minute drive.. seem to iddle fine, a little high.. but it had been doing that from before..
so,... don't know what could it have been....
Car feels slow.. but it's always felt slow.. i've never gotten into it and been like.. omg this car is facking fast.... hum.. i'm worried now..=(

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
see.. but that's the thing. the light is no longer on and the car drives and sounds fine.. could it have just been cuased at the begining because of the new plugs and fuel filter and gone away on its own? i'm just trying to see if i really need wires.
I really have no way of getting ford racing ones locally or any other fancy brands, my only option is cruising to pepboys or kragen and just getting whatever it is that they have in stock.

StealthCobra

96 SVT
Established Member
jmir018 said:
see.. but that's the thing. the light is no longer on and the car drives and sounds fine.. could it have just been cuased at the begining because of the new plugs and fuel filter and gone away on its own? i'm just trying to see if i really need wires.
I really have no way of getting ford racing ones locally or any other fancy brands, my only option is cruising to pepboys or kragen and just getting whatever it is that they have in stock.
I would get some good wires online. Nothing worse than spending money on shitty wires and then having to spend even more money on good ones.
Does sound like a misfire though.

97cobraheaven

Established Member
i know my car ran like ass and after i replaced my wires with FRPP 9mm (great wires by the way, like a lot more than my MSD's) it ran a hell of a lot better. then after i found that my #2 injector was unplugged it ran like a raped ape again, so check those. i had that popcorn ping sound as well..

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If the misfire is gone it could have been just a loose connection on 1 or 2.

If you cant get FFRP do you have a NAPA near you.
NAPA Belden wires are the only thing I trust on these as much as FFRP.

The stock replacement from NAPA is the Belden racewire set. Belden makes great wires.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
yeah.. i'll be ordering wires. the thing now is which one? =P
kragen said 80 bucks for some shitty ones.. so i'm getting ford racing i guess.. what do u guys think/?

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
If the misfire is gone it could have been just a loose connection on 1 or 2.

If you cant get FFRP do you have a NAPA near you.
NAPA Belden wires are the only thing I trust on these as much as FFRP.

The stock replacement from NAPA is the Belden racewire set. Belden makes great wires.

yeah.. i have a napa.. they won't open until monday.. i'll be going there anyway, cuase i need to return a fuel fitler.. (i had the wrong part number)
has anyone else tried the belden racewire?

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
forcedLX said:
sounds like your car is making excuses to race me...ROFL! see ya tommorrow J

please.. last time we raced, last monday in fact, you were left 3 4 or maybe 5 cars behind.. don't make me post the time slip:pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread