OK to run one wheel spacer?

KotnmthKng

Established Member
Is it ok to run a 1/4" spacer on just one side? My right rear wheel sticks out slightly further than the left. What about a 1/4" on one side and a 1/2" on the other? Is there any issues with balance or anything else?

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
I would look into maybe what the problem might be than just slapping a spacer in there. These cars never have the rear axle perfectly centered but if your wheel sticks out substantualy then you might have a bigger issue.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
KotnmthKng said:
Its only off by about 1/4". I just want to know if its ok to run a spacer on one side.

Called a shop where I got my wheels ballanced and they do alignments and said it's not a good idea. It will throw off your whole alignment. He asked if your car ever been "Duncan Donut" (explained when you do one too many donuts your suspension get's loose, since it was never engineered to be driven side ways and sometimes causes axle detract:shrug: : his words), or hard swiped a curve, or accident. Call one of your local shops and ask them. Not all shops have the same policy. Might be an easy fix.

95riosnake

Established Member
every SN95 I have ever seen has the rear axle located about 1/4" off center...it's not an abnormal thing. It is just not noticeable in stock form since the wheels are tucked in, once you bring them out to the edge of the fender, it is much more obvious.

Also, there is no way running 2 sizes of spacers could throw off the alignment of a solid axle car, as there is no "alignment" of a solid axle, other than if one wheel is further forward than the other or vice versa, which would in no way be caused by wheel spacers. You are merely moving one wheel out slightly further than the other...the reason you don't see this done much, is you basically have to buy 2 sets of spacers (1 each size) to do it.

coolguy10786

Established Member
I would not do it. It has nothing to do with the axle being centered on the car, but the wheels being equally spaced from the differential. If you move just one wheel further out, the load is no longer balanced and more strain is being put on one side.

Thats what i think would be the problem with doing it.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't see why nto.
My 2 SN's had the pass. side stick out a 1/4" further than the driver's side.

For what it's worth, my Sisters 06 GT's driver's side sticks out further as well.

It IS a common issue.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
95riosnake said:
every SN95 I have ever seen has the rear axle located about 1/4" off center...it's not an abnormal thing. It is just not noticeable in stock form since the wheels are tucked in, once you bring them out to the edge of the fender, it is much more obvious.

Also, there is no way running 2 sizes of spacers could throw off the alignment of a solid axle car, as there is no "alignment" of a solid axle, other than if one wheel is further forward than the other or vice versa, which would in no way be caused by wheel spacers. You are merely moving one wheel out slightly further than the other...the reason you don't see this done much, is you basically have to buy 2 sets of spacers (1 each size) to do it.

Talked to the guy at the shop again and he said that on a stock vehicle while the rear solid axle is staged and has no adjustability the rear wheels are the corner stone for the alignment. The lasers go on all four wheels, with the front wheels being aligned to the rear so the track is in one direction. He mentioned that is why some vehicles with rear solid axles that have been in accidents track side ways. Rear/Front body/suspension damage. Makes sense to me. :read:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Congrats on reviving a 6 year old thread!

You can use aftermarket lower arms and keep the stock uppers, this will force the stock uppers into compliance and possibly "straighten" the axle. don't use a panhard bar to fix it, that only binds the suspension.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member

This.. Mine is off almost 1/2".. No way to correct it without a panhard bar.

Run the spacer. It won't affect anything

svt97cobr4

Established Member
This.. Mine is off almost 1/2".. No way to correct it without a panhard bar.

Run the spacer. It won't affect anything

So running a 1/4 spacer on one side of the rear won't hurt? My driver side is out about a 1/4 inch more than the passenger side as well and i hate to notice it everytime I look at the car especially since I have deep dish wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread