Ok, so fuel pumps flow less on E85 than on gas?

mustang john

Established Member
Since i just found out this almost by accident after alot of researching and reading up on E85 fuel systems i figured id start a thread. Never once did i read about this before, never have i seen a fuel pump manufacturer or vendor (except for Fore) list different flow rates for pumps that are E85 compatible. To me this seems like a piece of info that should be everywhere since you need 30% more fuel for E85 yet your fuel pumps will be flowing less than rated since E85 has a higher specific gravity compared to gas.

Is there a percentage of loss that can be figured in to the gas flow rates so we can get a better idea of what the pumps will really be flowing on E85? I sure would llike to know what my Division X pumps are actually flowing.

Suddenly i feel like i my pumps wont be enough to support what i will need. :??:

Here is the chart that c6zhombre posted that has my head spinning... lol thanks man.

Fuel Pump Selection

At a glance it looks like you lose about 10% of the rated flow when on E85, on top of needing 30% more this seems kinda important to know.

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I know you got 2 340s John...and they'll probably be plenty for 700rwhp....but if I had a clean slate and was getting ready to build a fuel system, I'd opt for 2 walbro 465s. Do you have the 340s already installed....or are they returnable for a refund or exchange?

mustang john

Established Member
Got them in with 100 or so miles on them so im gonna see how far they take me lol. The purpose of this thread was to shed some light on what seems to be an over looked factor of running E85.

evolve

Established Member
I know you got 2 340s John...and they'll probably be plenty for 700rwhp....but if I had a clean slate and was getting ready to build a fuel system, I'd opt for 2 walbro 465s. Do you have the 340s already installed....or are they returnable for a refund or exchange?

This is exactly why I immediately called Lethal after I placed my order for the Budget Return kit and changed my order to the 2 465s. OP I am sure you can sell the 340s since theyre basically brand new.

FordEvangelist

Established Member
I run e85 on a return style system and have two Walbro 465 pumps. I dyno'd right at 700rwhp on e85 and the pumps seem to be plenty for that power level. I was told those two pumps would support about 1000rwhp on e85 but don't have any data for that.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Yep. Good job doing your research OP.

e85 flow characteristics change with temp changes also. I have noticed this first hand in my datalogs when comparing 70 degree days to 110 degree days.

Read Paul's Technorant here Injector Dynamics - Newsletter - Feb 2013

Last edited:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Since i just found out this almost by accident after alot of researching and reading up on E85 fuel systems i figured id start a thread. Never once did i read about this before, never have i seen a fuel pump manufacturer or vendor (except for Fore) list different flow rates for pumps that are E85 compatible. To me this seems like a piece of info that should be everywhere since you need 30% more fuel for E85 yet your fuel pumps will be flowing less than rated since E85 has a higher specific gravity compared to gas.

Is there a percentage of loss that can be figured in to the gas flow rates so we can get a better idea of what the pumps will really be flowing on E85? I sure would llike to know what my Division X pumps are actually flowing.

Suddenly i feel like i my pumps wont be enough to support what i will need. :??:

Here is the chart that c6zhombre posted that has my head spinning... lol thanks man.

Fuel Pump Selection

At a glance it looks like you lose about 10% of the rated flow when on E85, on top of needing 30% more this seems kinda important to know.[/QUOTE]

Should be about right, E85 density per Mol is about 11-14% more than pure gasoline... makes sense for the extra fuel volume needed.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I run e85 on a return style system and have two Walbro 465 pumps. I dyno'd right at 700rwhp on e85 and the pumps seem to be plenty for that power level. I was told those two pumps would support about 1000rwhp on e85 but don't have any data for that.

We've made nearly 1200 rwhp with dual 465's on E85 with our 2013 GT500. There's still more pump left as well :beer:

9BABCobra8

Established Member
I have a weldon 2025 rated at 1400 HP Injected which is stated at 700HP on Methanol.
I emailed weldon directly and was told with e85 it would support 1200 in a turbo application and 1000-1100 in a supercharged application...

Users who are viewing this thread