Ok I have a question has anybody herd a (Pre Production Cobra?)

98fourvalve

Established Member
Well, I know enough to know that not all the claims of Mark Young, the current owner, are true.

This car was never a 1P or 4P unit, and it never had a Cobra R hood, and it never was used by any of Ford's suppliers as any part of the 1995 Cobra R program, this car was not even built until March of 1995, the Cobra R program was all-done by then.

demotivational-posters-cant-tell-if-trolling.jpg

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Guys, I worked at Ford for 32 years and I remember this car because I was the Manager of the EEC Design group at the time, and we often got involved when such cars were built to get the new engine's wiring sorted and the vehicle running on the new EEC module. The 1996 Cobra engine had a unique new EEC module, and this car was originally built as a 5.0L car, so a lot of wiring had to be changed to get the new 4.6L DOHC Cobra engine to run. Now, that said, Ford SVT may have updated the car once Production intent engines were available, and/or Environ may have pulled the original 4.6L Cobra engine and shipped a completely different engine to John Ames. (The car came to John disassembled.)

It was a Ford SVT car, it was in their fleet, but it was never a 1P or a 4P car as those are built by either the Pilot plant or DAP itself and they are built using the proper wiring harnesses. This car was built way before an 1P or 4P units 1996 Cobra units were built.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
there is a guy in the SCMC (SVT Cobra Mustang Club) that has one of these vehicles, with complete documentation. It is a late production 95, with the new 4.6l V8 put in. His is white, and a coupe model.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Normally I would close this but his response interest me. You can never have enough old guys here with inside knowledge.

However Walt, pleasekeep in mind that we don't normally bump old threads here.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Well, Thanks for keeping this one open!

I am retired now, and a MCA Judge for 1994-2004 Mustangs. I know a lot about these cars and I own 2 of them, and I have built several and taken a few apart for parts. I would love to see a documented 1995 VIN car shown to be a 1P or 4P 1996 unit. I have never seen such, but strange things do happen within the Ford Motor Company!

I know John Ames well, and I did see his car when he was racing it, but I did not every really inspect it. I also knew the guys at SVT who built that car. I don't think Mark Young has any documents to prove the car he has, John's old race car, was ever anything but a SVT department car. But I would love the chance to inspect it closely.

351COBRAII

Established Member
Walt, thanks for all of your insight on this. I recently picked up 1996 SVT cobra #11, the Marti report has it listed as a test vehicle. I am trying to find information on my car and was wondering if you or anyone else here could point me in the right direction.
file4-2.jpeg
SVT certificate.JPG
Marti report.JPG

Well, Thanks for keeping this one open!

I am retired now, and a MCA Judge for 1994-2004 Mustangs. I know a lot about these cars and I own 2 of them, and I have built several and taken a few apart for parts. I would love to see a documented 1995 VIN car shown to be a 1P or 4P 1996 unit. I have never seen such, but strange things do happen within the Ford Motor Company!

I know John Ames well, and I did see his car when he was racing it, but I did not every really inspect it. I also knew the guys at SVT who built that car. I don't think Mark Young has any documents to prove the car he has, John's old race car, was ever anything but a SVT department car. But I would love the chance to inspect it closely.

Users who are viewing this thread