Ok, I got my rims...

Babbit

Established Member
Just got my Chrome FR500's on and have realized that I need to lower.

I am on a tight budget so I was wondering if anyone has used the Tokico set up: HP Shocks and Struts with their lowering springs.

If I had the money I would probably go with Bilstein's and H&R's, but I don't.

I am going to get MM caster/camber plates as well as subframes.

What else would be good to install at the same time so the mechanic can do it all at once?

Any other recommendations are welcome.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The Tokicos area very good shock. You will be very happy with them.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
How much is your car lowered. If it is an inch and a half or less over stock you may not need CC plates. That would save you a lot of $$. If you can get a near perfect alignment then you are fine without them.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
HISSMAN said:
How much is your car lowered. If it is an inch and a half or less over stock you may not need CC plates. That would save you a lot of $$. If you can get a near perfect alignment then you are fine without them.
Yep, my alignment is perfect with out the C/C plates with eibachs pro-kit.

Last edited:

whitelightning9

Established Member
I am running the Tokico Shocks and struts, and i can tell you that for the money they are excellent, day and night difference from stock. You won't be disappointed!!

Babbit

Established Member
whitelightening9... are you using caster/camber plates?

HISSMAN.... The Tokico springs say 1.25 inch drop. SO you think I would be good without C/C plates?

And if I knew how to post pics I'd show you guys how the FR500's look

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You should be fine. I dropped my 98 Cobra about 1.5 inches, and it was fine. I bought CC plates anyways, and the alignement didn't really change. IMO it was the biggest waste of money I ever had on my 98 cobra.

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
If you are doing springs, you might want to buy yourself some lower control arms to throw in there at the same time. Ebay usually has uppers and lowers sold as kits for $230 or you can just get the lowers for like $150. The lowers are the ones that really count. They will stiffen up your rear end and launches will be alot harder. You'll get alot more traction from upgrading those. I went with the Hotchkis ones when i did my sportlines and the rear end feels wayyyyyy tighter.

CobraKai

Established Member
I put the tokico premiums (blue) with BBK specific rate springs that have a 1.5 inch drop on my 97, and the shop aligned it just fine. I really didnt want to spend the extra cash on CC plates, and now I'm glad I didn't. Car handles better now, but the ride quality is still good. I only notice the diff on speed bumps and pot holes. I think they are a great value over the adjustable tokicos, unless you are going to the track a lot, then you would want them.

CobraKai

Established Member
helluvasnake said:
I was thinking of going with H&R Sport Springs (1.5-1.6" drop) Do you think I need to get caster camber plates as well?

I think you can get away without them. What I did to cover my butt was to get a lifetime alignment from my local shop. That way if I decided I needed the CC plates I wouldn't have to pay for the re-alignment after install. Just a thought.

whitelightning9

Established Member
I am running the camber caster plates. My car is lowered with the BBK progressive rate springs, and I needed the plates for a correct alignment, However if it can be aligned without them then go for it and save yourself the money. The plates can easily be added later if needed!!!

Users who are viewing this thread