Ok how do i get this rear brake caliper off? Broke wheel stud

ReallyRedCobra

No really. Its that red.
Established Member
So I broke a wheel stud off somehow :shrug: and I'm trying to replace it. I haven't changed the pads on the rears yet (they are still stock) and they have plenty to go still.

Anywho, I just want to take this caliper off so I can knock this bad wheel stud out. Do I take off the bolts that require the 15mm socket. The problem with this is I can't get the socket around the ebrake cable and I really dont want to take that out. Can I take it off with the top bolts that are 13mm I believe?

I guess is there an easy way to do this? :(

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Take the 12-13mm bolts off first.

The ones with the accordion boots next to them.

AFTER they are off, you'll be able to access the other 15mm bolts.

DO NOT MESS WITH THE HANDBRAKE CABLE!!

Established Member
Also, remember that the rear caliper pistons are SCREW IN type and not push in like the fronts.

After the 2 accordion boot bolts are off, the caliper slides off, moves the handbrake cable out of the way and leaves the caliper bracket still attached to the axle bracket. Then you can remove those 2 15mm bolts and the bracket off...and the rotor is free.

You can then tap out the stud.

To install a new stud, slide a larger diameter nut or thick washer (at least 1/2 inch or slightly more) over the new incoming stud, then screw on the lug nut. As it screws in, it will "suck-in" the new stud into place.

When it's in all the way, unscrew the lug nut, take the larger diameter nut/washer off, and tadaa!

Last edited:

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Just take the 15mm bolts off you can access them with a swivel.

Slide the caliper off. Remove the rotor and bam studs are right there.

put the rotor on slide the whole caliper/braket back into place and bolt up

I do it all day at work.. NO reason to remove caliper

Established Member
saleenfiend17 said:
Just take the 15mm bolts off you can access them with a swivel.

Slide the caliper off. Remove the rotor and bam studs are right there.

put the rotor on slide the whole caliper/braket back into place and bolt up

I do it all day at work.. NO reason to remove caliper

You're joking right??

haha

havoksdream

Pimp Daddy "J"
Established Member
There are two 15mm bolts (on the inside facing the car) that hold the caliper in place. Here in this pic I got the wrench on the bottom and you can also see the upper one taken out. Remove the one bolt and one clip that holds the ebrake cable in place. Make sure the ebrake is down and you should be able to work the rotor off. As noted above, the piston rotates back in. NOT PUSHED.

Picture662.jpg

What ever you do, DON"T REMOVE the e brake spring.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
You can pull the cable out of the spring but just use another set of hands and a big assed adjustable wrench.

Its time consuming.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ kinda what i was thinking. i never had to remove the other two smaller bolts to get to the two main 15mm bolts either.

ReallyRedCobra

No really. Its that red.
Established Member
You know honestly I had a brain fart about using a box wrench last night. For some reason I thought if I couldnt get a socket on it then its impossible. Its been a rough month. lol

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
it's not so much removing the e-brake cable, it's getting those dang springs back on. although, as VirtualSVT said, you may be able to squeeze the spring as if the brake were pulled and then slide the cable out(and back on as well).

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
NO I WAS NOT JOKING

I do it all day have done it numerous times..

If you want, come see me Ill show you how its done.
Well actually just look at the picture above.. the caliper is not being removed from the bracket.. although he just used a wrench.. (im spoiled to my air tools)

Its Quicker 2 Less bolts and if your not replacing the rotor you do not have to compress the caliper.

The hand brake cable is not all too touchy either you can pop it lose and push it out the way if you want/have to...Its not soo bad getting back into place either

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread