Ok - Here's a new one....

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
I have a K&N filter cone. I cleaned it using the K&N cleaner. I let it dry. I them put the K&N oil on it. I let it stand overnight. I checked to make sure no pools of oil were inside the cone. I put it back onto the CAI. I drive a total of 2 miles. Open the hood...and all the oil is sucked out of the cone filter media.

This has happened three times know in the last month. I have never had such a problem in the past with any K&N filter cones and I have been using comes for over a decade. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? What is the problem with this cone's filter media?

I assume the oil that got sucked up just burned off??? The MAF sensor was clean and appears to no have any contamination. The car (2006 Mustang GT) runs fine and the idle is perfect. I would like to clean the MAF sensor but I am not sure what to use. Any suggestions what to clean the MAF sensor with?????

BTW - I went out today and replaced the cone with a new one and it works fine...no loss of oil after going 40 highway miles.

Last edited:

Mook03TRMN8R

Established Member
if all the all oil was gone from your filter element, it would be WHITE.... which i doubt. If it has any red coloring at all, it has plenty of oil on it. If you keep reoiling that thing, all you are going to do is screw up your MAF by getting it gunked up with oil. Im sure the element has plenty of oil in it.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Mook03TRMN8R said:
if all the all oil was gone from your filter element, it would be WHITE.... which i doubt. If it has any red coloring at all, it has plenty of oil on it. If you keep reoiling that thing, all you are going to do is screw up your MAF by getting it gunked up with oil. Im sure the element has plenty of oil in it.

I agree...:beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
After washing mine it is just a very light pink color. K&N over oils them from the factory if you ask me, and I never put enough oil on one to make it look like it did out of the box.

-Jeff

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Mook03TRMN8R said:

Doubt all you want...it is white after less than two miles driving with it. I've been using K&N for over 30 years butt-head....I know what a cone looks like lightly oiled, heavily oiled or no oil at all. That's why I am asking if anyone ever heard of this happening. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread