OK folks, school me on winterizing the Cobra

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
So after searching forever for my daily beater I just picked one up. I originally wanted to get a Volvo V70 but just couldnt find a decent one in my price range. My 2nd choice was a Taurus wagon (since I am familiar with Fords). Found one for sale in the area...2001 silver Taurus SES with 75K miles for $2700. Couldnt pass that deal up. I needed the wagon to haul crap and have something for the dog to jump in when we head out to the fields & woods.

So now that I have a daily driver I need to start looking to getting it ready for a long winters nap. I imagine it will need some sort of fuel stabilizer, fresh oil change etc.

The car will still be in my garage so if need be I can turn it over once a week just to keep fluids moving.

Whats the best way to get the car ready for the winter?

Last edited:

convert03cobra

Established Member
Put it in a controlled environment like a heated garage and do like you said. Crank it once a week and drive it once a week (weather permitting) and you will be fine. Buy a battery tender and keep that sucker fully charged. Other than that you should be fine.

Evan5469

Established Member
We store my dad's car every winter from about Novemeber until April or May depending on how long the weather stays nice.

1. Give it a good wash and wax and cover it with a car cover
2. Inflate the tires to about 40 psi and park it on carpet squares to avoid flat spots.
3. We use a battery tender on the battery but I've heard of people removing it and putting it inside their house to store it.
4. Top of the gas and add a fuel stabilizer.
5. Put dryer sheets in the interior and the engine bay to keep out pests. Mouse traps around the outside also if you'd like.
6. Avoid starting it unless you're actually going to drive it a good distance, otherwise the condensation will sit in the exhaust and rot it from the inside out.
7. Oil change: Some say do it before you put it away. Some say do it before you bring it back out. We typically do it before we bring it back out.
8. Before starting it in the spring press the gas pedal to the floor before cranking it. This will turn off the injectors and bring oil up inside the motor to lubricate everything. Give it a couple seconds and then start it up as usual.

That's about all the advice I have. It's worked well for us and never had an issue following these steps.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
8. Before starting it in the spring press the gas pedal to the floor before cranking it. This will turn off the injectors and bring oil up inside the motor to lubricate everything. Give it a couple seconds and then start it up as usual.

Can you explain this a little further? I'm going to remember to do this, I just wanted a little more to truly understand whats going on. Is this a way to cut the gas to the engine and when you turn the key to start it, it won't? Or do you mean just press the pedal to the floor and then crank the motor just enough to get it turning but don't hold it so long as to start the car?

thanks

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Snow tires and a windshield scraper. LOL

One question, how much work do you want to go through if we have one of those rare nice days in Jan when the roads are clean and you want to take it out?

Evan5469

Established Member
Can you explain this a little further? I'm going to remember to do this, I just wanted a little more to truly understand whats going on. Is this a way to cut the gas to the engine and when you turn the key to start it, it won't? Or do you mean just press the pedal to the floor and then crank the motor just enough to get it turning but don't hold it so long as to start the car?

thanks

What you want to do is press the pedal to the floor and try starting the car. It will crank but won't start because the injectors won't fire. Just do it for a couple seconds to get the oil up in the motor and then stop cranking, relase the pedal and start it like you normally would.

Two questions for you folks:

1. What kind/brand battery tender do you all use?

2. Any particular fuel stabilizer?

1. Batterytender.com - Home of All Your Charging Needs
They also sell them on Jeg's and Summit Racing.
2. Either Stabil or Seafoam works well.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
Thanks all!

Greg - I am not sure, but that is a good question. I dont really plan on taking it out but I imagine its possible so that is one consideration. I am not sure I want to winterize it to the point where it cant be driven at all for months.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Batterytender.com - Home of All Your Charging Needs Battery Tender Plus

This is the one I got when I had a mini battery in my GT. Worked great and we use it on the wave runner now. Cost about $55 at the local motorcycle dealer.

Winterizing is for bears. Just keep the thing in a garage with the battery tender on it and drive it every week or so. As long as there isn't salt on the roads, you'll be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread